Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: Prayers for New Orleans and areas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 28 2005 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Hurricane Katrina is now a Category 5 storm and huge circumference, and headed straight for New Orleans. I wanted to mention a lovely New Orleans devotion to Our Lady of Prompt Succor, an Ursuline tradition. Our Lady's help for New Orleans under the title of Prompt Succor started in the War of 1812 and her help has continued through the centuries. New Orleans traditionally invokes her in times of hurricanes...

I just love the history of this tradition and devotion. Our Lady of Prompt Succor is also the Patroness of the State of Louisiana.

PRAYER TO OUR LADY OF PROMPT SUCCOR, Patroness of State of Louisiana

Our Lady of Prompt Succor, ever Virgin Mother of Jesus Christ our Lord and God, you are most powerful against the enemy of our salvation. The divine promise of a Redeemer was announced right after the sin of our first parents; and you, through your Divine Son, crushed the serpent's head.

Hasten, then, to our help and deliver us from the deceits of Satan. Intercede for us with Jesus that we may always accept God's graces and be found faithful to Him in our particular states of life. As you once saved our beloved City from ravaging flames and our Country from an invading army, have pity on us and obtain for us protection from hurricanes and all other disasters. (silent pause for individual petitions). Assist us in the many trials which beset our path through life. Watch over the Church and the Pope as they uphold with total fidelity the purity of faith and morals against unremitting opposition. Be to us truly Our Lady of Prompt Succor now and especially at the hour of our death, that we may gain everlasting life through the merits of Jesus Christ Who lives and reigns with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen.

Our Lady of Prompt Succor, hasten to help us. (Three times)

Other prayers:

O, Mary, Mother of God, who, amidst the tribulations of the world, watches over us and over the Church of your Son, be to us and to the Church truly OUR LADY OF PROMPT SUCCOR, make haste to help us in all our necessities, that in this fleeting life you may be our succor, and obtain for us (here ask the particular favor you desire). Help us to gain life everlasting through the merits of Jesus, your Son, our Lord and Redeemer. Amen.
Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be to the Father.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor, hasten to help us. (Three times)

O Queen of the Universe, Our Lady of Prompt Succor, sovereign full of kindness, you are the advocate of sinners, a haven of safety to the shipwrecked; you are the resource of the world, the ransom of captives, the health of the infirm, the consolation of the afflicted, the refuge and salvation of all on earth. We beseech you to grant us the help of your prayers, which incline our Heavenly Father to forgive our sins and grant our petitions in all the necessities of this miserable life, prayers which obtain for us an abundance of graces to receive the pardon of our faults and arrive at the practice of virtue, prayers which stop our enemies, confound their designs, and triumph over their efforts. Amen.

For more information, see Patron Saints Index

Women for Faith and Family

Images of the Shrine

Prayers

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2005 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Thanks for the prayer, Jenn. DH has been telling me about the evacuation and all. That is a beautiful prayer and so appropriate for the occasion. I will be praying!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2005 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

jenngm67 wrote:
I wanted to mention a lovely New Orleans devotion to Our Lady of Prompt Succor, an Ursuline tradition.
I just love the history of this tradition and devotion. Our Lady of PRompt Succor is also the Patroness of the State of Louisiana.

Jenn,
You are a walking host of Catholic knowledge!!!

Thank you for the prayer. We have friends (#4's godparents) coming over for a fish fry tonight and plans are for us to say it together.

Our Lady of Prompt Succor is the name of the largest church in our town---we have 4 Catholic churches total...but this is the mother church.

Dh and I just got home and our area is surged with people at gas pumps and hotels and restaurants. The traffic on the roads is heavy. Dh called his relatives in N.O. (where he was born) and no one answered. We take it they've all left.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2005 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Forgot to mention...

IN 1957, Hurricane Audrey hit our section of the state. My mother was a little girl and remembers it well.

Because so many residents didn't know about it ahead of time and no one took the proper precautions, many lives were lost.

Every year the old timers think that this has to be the year we get another direct hit. My mother prepares every year.

But a shrine was erected in Cameron Parish (brief geography tip: very bottom SW coastline section of Louisiana) in front of the church there: Our Lady Star of the Sea. The shrine faces the gulf and Cameron residents and faithful gather every year to pray at the shrine for safety during hurricane season. You can see a photo of the shrine. A plague on it reads: Do not harm my children.

We have never had a direct hit since and many residents believe this is the reason.

Still, one must prepare...

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2005 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

jenngm67 wrote:
Our Lady's help for New Orleans under the title of Prompt Succor started in the War of 1812 and her help has continued through the centuries. New Orleans traditionally invokes her in times of hurricanes...

I'm adding this to the storm prayer that came over the CCM list:
Jesus Christ a King of Glory has come in Peace. + God became man, + and the Word was made flesh. + Christ was born of a Virgin. + Christ suffered. + Christ was crucified. + Christ died. + Christ rose from the dead. + Christ ascended into Heaven. + Christ conquers. + Christ reigns. + Christ orders. + May Christ protect us from all storms and lightning. + Christ went through their midst in Peace, + and the Word was made flesh. + Christ is with us with Mary. + Flee you enemy spirits because the Lion of the Generation of Juda, the Root David, has won. + Holy God! + Holy Powerful God! + Holy Immortal God! + Have mercy on us. Amen!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 28 2005 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Cay Gibson wrote:
Jenn,
You are a walking host of Catholic knowledge!!!

I know this bit of tradition because my mother's family was from southern Louisiana. She herself was born in New Orleans, so this was relayed to me during my childhood. Also, when we lived in North LA (Shreveport) I had to take Louisiana History in 8th grade and learned about this.

Cay Gibson wrote:
Our Lady of Prompt Succor is the name of the largest church in our town---we have 4 Catholic churches total...but this is the mother church.

Dh and I just got home and our area is surged with people at gas pumps and hotels and restaurants. The traffic on the roads is heavy. Dh called his relatives in N.O. (where he was born) and no one answered. We take it they've all left.

I'm glad to hear people are taking the seriousness of the storm and evacuating. It's not easy...

How much impact will be where you live? Winds? rain? Is your house on higher ground?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 28 2005 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Cay Gibson wrote:
Forgot to mention...

IN 1957, Hurricane Audrey hit our section of the state. My mother was a little girl and remembers it well.

Because so many residents didn't know about it ahead of time and no one took the proper precautions, many lives were lost.

Every year the old timers think that this has to be the year we get another direct hit. My mother prepares every year.

But a shrine was erected in Cameron Parish (brief geography tip: very bottom SW coastline section of Louisiana) in front of the church there: Our Lady Star of the Sea. The shrine faces the gulf and Cameron residents and faithful gather every year to pray at the shrine for safety during hurricane season. You can see a photo of the shrine. A plague on it reads: Do not harm my children.

We have never had a direct hit since and many residents believe this is the reason.

Thanks for sharing this! I love hearing stories like this!!!!

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 28 2005 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Thanks for praying, everyone. I'm sure I'm not the only one with lifetime friends in Louisiana and Mississippi.

Please know that your prayers are a great comfort to me, my family and my friends down south.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2005 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

jenngm67 wrote:

How much impact will be where you live? Winds? rain?

Mostly teh traffic and congestion I wrote of. As New Orleans is the east side of LA, we're on the far west side. Texas is 15 minutes from my house. Are we on the coastline? You bettcha. We can drive from our house to the Gulf of Mexico in 30 minutes.

We're on the west side of the storm so we probably won't even get a breeze. That happened with Hurricane Andrew thirteen years ago. We packed and headed north and the storm hit east of us. We didn't get a drop of rain. The east side of the storm is always worse.

Dh and I went to our neighboring *big* city this afternoon and four Entergy vehicles passed us then, on the way home, we saw 3 tree cutting vehicles headed East. Last night the traffic was bumper to bumper.

The first gas station we saw coming into town was flooded with vehicles...lines of them. I was relieved that dh tanked up my vehicle yesterday.   

All the restaurants had full parking lots.

My oldest ds works at a store and he said they were selling out of bottled/gallon water and people were coming in saying some people wwere sleeping in the hotel lobbies.

jenngm67 wrote:
Is your house on higher ground?

When we inherited this house from my in-laws, we obtained one of the highest pieces of property in town. This evening my friend was commenting how thick our house slab is (about a foot above ground). So that's another plus. No flooding here. But we have huge oak trees that could crash through the roof. Not good!

I feel like a local forecaster here. So there ya go...news straight from the heart of Louisiana (versus the eye).

But I'm aware of many email friends who live in the N.O. area whom I have not *heard* from. I hope they have all prepared and are safely out of harms way.

I'm sure they'll be able to give a more complete *eyewitness* report.

mom to 5

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2005 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

There was someone on the CCM loop ever since I can remember who lived in the heart of N.O. I have tried to remember her name...Molly or Mary being the only names that comes to mind.

I remember she had 6 or 7 C-sections and before one hurricane I had written to her to call me if they headed this way.

I have not *seen* her on any eloops in a couple of years and have had her on my mind constantly since Katrina came through. Does anyone know who I'm talking about and how to reach her?

mom to 5

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2005 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm sorry, Cay, but I'm not recalling these details. If you find any, will you let us know?

Our prayers continue,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version