Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Snowflakes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Carmie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote Carmie

MaryM, I want to do a snowflake unit in December with Luke. I know you have tons of ideas! So far, I have plans for us to cut out our own snowflakes and I've got 2 books: The Snowflake: Winter's Secret Beauty by Kenneth Libbrecht (this one has exquisite photography) and the other is a picture book, Snowflake Bentley. Has anyone done this already? Any ideas? I haven't exhausted everything at my library yet. I'm just getting started. Thanks, Carmen
Back to Top View Carmie's Profile Search for other posts by Carmie Visit Carmie's Homepage

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote Theresa

We got a snow lapbook from Homeschool estore last year but I couldn't find it when I needed it and so it is in our January folder for this year. There are some other neat things there that you may be interested in.

Homeschool e-store

Just do a search on the left side of the page for snow.

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Carmie, last year we also studied snow, and I found the most wonderful resource for a unit study on THIS forum! Here's the link: Snowflake Bentley

Also, Hands of a Child has a lovely lapbook about snow, as well as a Katy and the Big Snow lapbook. Also, I recommend checking your library for W.A. Bentley's photography books. We checked out one last year, and wow, those images are just incredible.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Carmen - the old thread Shawna just linked was the one I was going to mention. That's where a lot of my snowflake study ideas are mentioned. I thought I had science and weather ones there, too. I'll have to look and see if I still have those printed someplace already.

Michaela did a fabulous snow crystal study a couple years back - but I'm not finding it here. I think it was on CCM or Rabbit Trails. Do you still have it to post here, Michaela?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 11 2007 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Here are a few sites to get started on the topic. This first one at Cal Tech has gorgeous photographs, explanations of the physics behind snow crystal formation, maps of where to find the best crystals based on snow fall, Field Guide to snowflake forms including classification charts. There are also tips for catching snow crystals for viewing. It has some experiments that you can try including how to build an apparatus to grow your own snow crystals (for those not living in snowy climates!) and making "snow flake fossils" which you have more time to look at because they don't melt.

This second site is about Wilson "Snowflake" Bentley.

Snow Science page – it has some of the same things as the kid's section of the Cal Tech page but I think the presentation/explanation is a bit easy to follow.

In addition to the fantastic books of photographs by Bentley and Kenneth Libbrecht that you are using already or have been mentioned, we used this one.

The snowflake : a water cycle story by Neil Waldman is a children's book about the water cycle and snow formation.

Dover has several beautiful stained glass coloring books of snowflakes.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Carmie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 12 2007 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote Carmie

Thank you everybody for your input. It look like Snowflake Bentley is where to start. We already have a Dover Snowflake coloring book. I'm not sure how in-depth I want to get, but I'm fascinated by snowflakes and I thought this would be a good thing to study as it gets colder and even today since it just started snowing!!! Thanks for the help! -Carmen
Back to Top View Carmie's Profile Search for other posts by Carmie Visit Carmie's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2007 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I think Cay put one together about 3 or so years ago over on Lit ALive list. Is this right Cay, or am I imagining it
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 12 2007 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

AWWW...I want the SNOW to do a snowflake unit!

We rarely get it maybe a day or two in Jan. Bulbs are up by february.

I like the idea though...maybe Ill check out the book at the library in January just in case!
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

Carmie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote Carmie

I just noticed Snow book suggestions in the Christmas Mosaic supplement! Yay!

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2007 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote Willa

The homeschool e-store which Theresa mentioned has a free What is Snow? lapbook right now.

What is Snow?

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 28 2009 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

A few weeks back I requested a new book that was on order at our library. Well ironically it arrived on my hold shelf today - the same day we are in the midst of a pretty heavy autumn snow storm. I think we have about 10 inches so far.

Anyway, the book is The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder. It a lovely science picture book. Explains how snow crystals form from tiny particles with all kinds of interesting facts about them. Illustrated with a combination of line drawings and snow crystal photographs like those seen in the above mentioned Libbrecht and Bentley books.

Our Domestic Church

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 28 2009 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

This
Make snowflakes online
Might be fun to go along with this.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 28 2009 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JodieLyn wrote:
This
Make snowflakes online

I love virtual snowflake sites - no little pieces of paper all over the place. Here is another virtual snowflake making site I've recommended in the past.

Some of you who aren't experiencing winter weather yet, may think I'm jumping the gun here with all this snowflake talk.

Our Domestic Church

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

I like Macbeth's winter page - I really want to do the space dust experiment!

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2009 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

Here is my blog post on our snow unit. We are fortunate that our local science museum owns the entire Bentley photography collection, and had them on display that year, so we were able to include a field trip to see the actual slides as a bonus!

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

MB in MD
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 1:09am | IP Logged Quote MB in MD

In the middle of a fun snow/winter unit for my 7-year-old son during a particularly cold and snowy winter (it seems) and wanted to thank you all for the great leads and ideas I've been reading about.......... and toss in one of my own that I didn't see anyone else mention: Besides "Snowflake Bentley" there is another nice picture book on Bentley that my library has: "My Brother Loved Snowflakes" by Mary Bahr. It is an imaginative reminiscence by W. Bentley's brother, lovely illustrations and a bit more emphasis on the fact that they were homeschooled by their mom!

I also tried an art project I found where you basically "paint" salt-solution snowflakes onto dark cardstock. I boiled the water, poured it into a mug, stirred in the salt, and we painted....but it was a disappointment in that the salt crystals were not visible when the paper dried. BUT -- under the category of How Homeschooling Improves My Life -- I made the serendipitous discovery that salt solution completely cleans off those brown stains in my mugs !
Back to Top View MB in MD's Profile Search for other posts by MB in MD

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 1:23am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MB - I liked the My Brother Loved Snowflakes book, too. Thanks for mentioning it in the thread.

I've had problems in the past with some salt solution crafts, too. It often helps to use a courser grind of salt or even Epsom salt or rock salt. And make sure the solution is over saturated so there are crystals to pick up that aren't dissolved in the water.

Hey, I found this interesting variation:epsom salt & beer snowflakes

I also want to try some of these borax snowflakes this year (or the sugar crystal ones described there, too).

Our Domestic Church

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

MaryM wrote:

Anyway, the book is The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder. It a lovely science picture book. Explains how snow crystals form from tiny particles with all kinds of interesting facts about them. Illustrated with a combination of line drawings and snow crystal photographs like those seen in the above mentioned Libbrecht and Bentley books.

My parents gifted this book to my children this year for Christmas! I haven't even looked through it yet, but it's nice to see a reference here! That makes me more excited to read it with my kiddos!

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Quote:
I also want to try some of these borax snowflakes this year (or the sugar crystal ones described there, too).

Mary, we did these last year. They turned out great! They did take longer than the instructions said, we left them in the solution about 5 or 6 days, if I remember correctly. Also, you can color the solution, but if you want the color to be visible on the final snowflake, you will need to make the solution pretty dark. We hung them in our kitchen window and they were lovely!

Another great "snow" book, which I know everyone is probably familiar with but I'm going to list here anyway! is The Big Snow, a beautiful Caldecott winner that relates how the forest animals survive winter.

We are doing a "snow and ice" unit right now, and we are including these topics: the formation of snow, snow crystals, ice skating, Winter Olympics, Tchaikovsky (sounds sort of unrelated, but he was from a cold and snowy country!), Bruegel's painting of The Hunters in the Snow (Winter), memorizing and copywork from Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost. Our read aloud is Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates. One boy is also reading The Hockey Mystery (Boxcar Children), not great literature, but he's just starting with chapter books and he got excited about that one. We watched the movie "Miracle" about the 1980 defeat of the USSR hockey by the Americans. Be forewarned there is some language in that movie, but the game sequences are exciting and the work the team did to win is inspiring. For art, we are being inspired by Bentley's pictures in Snow Crystals.

We, fortunately for all you ladies, I'm out of time to post !

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I came across a book recommendation on another list and thought I'd throw in a few recommendations for snowflake art.

First, there is

Designs for Coloring: Snowflakes by Ruth Heller.

and Stained Glass Designs for Coloring: Snowflakes

Not only are these to color, but these could be used as inspiration elsewhere, like creating snowflake pysanky.

And nothing is prettier to me than white thread crochet and making crocheted snowflaks. They are so beautiful on the Christmas tree.

I had seen this post of the Borax activity and it really got me excited.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version