Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: My early Christmas present- a Nutrimill! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Leocea
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote Leocea

My dh has given me a Nutrimill for an early Christmas present.
It is on its way now. Yay!
Lol, I never thought I would be so excited about a grain mill.
I am now looking for tips and recipes for my new toy, err, tool.
I am wondering if you can add a handful of lentils or beans to add protein. Would it taste weird? I would think it wouldn't be noticeable in a large amount of flour. Would this be too weird?
Anyone have recipes for a bread that is soft enough for sandwiches? I have a large KitchenAid mixer to knead it. I have made four loaves at a time before.
I enjoy making bread, and am hoping to make lots of it now! I usually use unbleached white flour, and make round loaves. I am hoping to make enough bread for my family. I have recently been buying the Wonder Wheat/White and everyone likes it. Is it possible to make bread that light with whole grains?
Also, is red wheat better? What is best for regular bread?

In Christ,

Leocea

Back to Top View Leocea's Profile Search for other posts by Leocea

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

hard red wheat has the nuttier flavor of the hearty whole wheat breads.. hard white wheat has a milder flavor and may be better for those not used to whole wheat. We prefer a 50/50 mix.

I wouldn't add a handful of beans into the wheat while grinding.. but certainly grinding seperately would work.. you'll have to open it to a coarser grind to be able to grind the beans (it's still flour) than you do for the wheat.. and you'll get a coarse ground wheat with the beans if you tried to do them together.

Check your KA on amount of flour you can use.. my 6qt lift (pro-600) can only make 2 loaves of ww bread. I think I can only use 8 cups of ww flour vs something like 12 c ap flour.

This is the recipe we like and it's fairly soft.

remember I make this with the 50/50 mix.. hard white flour is higher in gluten and usually doens't need any of the "helps" that you see for ww bread.

BEST WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
2 loaf version for the KitchenAid

2 cups water (110 degrees)
1 Tbsp. yeast (SAF instant)
2 c ww flour

Stir to mix well, then cover and let sponge 30 minutes. Turn machine on to stir to "punch it down;"

add:

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
3 c ww flour

Mix to blend. If needed add more flour by 1/4-1/2 cupfuls until dough cleans the sides of the bowl and is no longer sticky. Knead on #2 for 6-8 minutes. The flour amount is approximate; use only enough flour the cause the dough to pull away from the sides of the mixer bowl. Do not add more flour.

Cover with damp towel. Let dough rise in covered bowl 30 minutes until doubled. Turn machine on to punch down, remove from bowl to oiled counter, divide into two pieces. Form into loaves and place in greased loaf pans. Let rise in warm oven (turned off) until 1 1/2" above the rim of the pans. With loaves still in oven, turn oven on and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cover with clean damp towel to soften crust.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Leocea
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 14 2007 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote Leocea

Thank you so much!
My grinder will be here tomorrow, so I will try this out.
I feel so extravagant and fortunate, to have these great kitchen tools! We've been married 15 years, and many, many things I have had were second-hand. Not that there is anything wrong with that, in fact my grandmother just passed down a pasta machine for my KA. Double yay, lol. I just feel so lucky to get this grinder brand new!

I'll let you know how the bread turns out!

In Christ,

Leocea

Back to Top View Leocea's Profile Search for other posts by Leocea

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version