Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: good author for boys Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 30 2007 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Hey y'all, I know we've discussed this in different ways before, but I'm tryin to find a good picture book author for my youngest ... we've gotten him all the Lois Lenskis that are currently in print and with his 5th bday coming up at the end of November, I'd like to start him on a new one. Someone akin to Elsa Beskow (who's a little too girly for my macho man ) but for boys.

Any suggestions?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 31 2007 at 6:15am | IP Logged Quote Anne

Eric Carle has been my little guys favorite for a long time. Books like The Grouchy Lady Bug really made him laugh. His all time fav is A House for Hermit Crab. These may not be the genre you are looking for but they are good ones that have potential trail followers!
His offical web site has lists of all of his books with synaps about each.
Eric Carle

Back to Top View Anne's Profile Search for other posts by Anne

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2007 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Eric Carle books are a great suggestin Anne, thanks! What I'm trying to find is an author of beautifully illustrated AND written books that I can "collect" for my youngest. For instance, my Maggie (7) gets the Elsa Beskow books a couple of times a year .... or JP was getting the Lois Lenski books (but we've gotten all those).

Any other suggestions?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 31 2007 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Well, these aren't exactly akin to Elsa Beskow, but I was thinking of collecting the Snipp, Snapp, Snurr books for my son.

The other authors I've pursued are Tasha Tudor (except dollhouse and girlie ones) and Tomie de Paola.

Lois Lenski is one that I started, too. Glad to know you like these, too.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2007 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Great minds think alike , I was going also going to recommend Snip, Snapp, Snurr.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 31 2007 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Mary Chris wrote:
Great minds think alike , I was going also going to recommend Snip, Snapp, Snurr.

And so was I! (along with the Flicka, Ricka, Dicka books)

What about Astrid Lindgren's books? My boys had such fun with the Pippi Longstockings series (though they're long for a 5 yo) and also enjoyed (somewhat) the Noisy Village books. At the library yesterday I saw that she has a version of The Tomten.

Does anyone know anything about Daniela Drescher's books?

Are there any beautifully illustrated (simple) versions of some Hans Christian Andersen Fairy tales?

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 31 2007 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Another possibility if he likes horses is the Billy and Blaze series. I have not personally seen them, but I've looked at them in Amazon's reader. It looks like the illustrations are more realistic -- not the sweet style of Beskow and others -- and black and white. But the reviews look good, and I have a friend who raves about these books.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2007 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Thanks ladies for all the suggestions! I'd forgotten about the Snipp, Snapp, Snurr ones, Jenn!

Yesterday, I got a couple of books from the library about books. Great Books for Boys (2-14) which had LOTS of twaddle and politically correct books (altho I did find one or two possibilities) and the other, Parent's Guide to the Best Books for Children from the NYTimes Children's Book Editor. This has tons of suggestions and here are some authors I thought I'd try:

William Joyce -- his illustrations are so cool
Leo Lionni -- Frederick and others (but these may be too young???)
John Burningham -- he did those Mr. Grumpy and others that have cute drawings and nice story
Arnold Lobel -- his Fables is supposed to be excellent and of course his Frog & Toad books are classics for beginning readers
David McPhail -- especially his Edward and the Pirates, Edward in the Jungle and Santa's Book of Names REALLY sound great
Robert Burleigh -- who does kid level biographies of athletes, artists and others including Home Run, Flight, and Paul Cezanne give you some idea of the variety of this author!

Anyone have comments on any of these ... it's interesting that the ones that I seem to like to collect are authors/illustrators who really make the books sing with their WORDS and their PICTURES!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2007 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

My suggestion would be Graeme Base. My boys especially always love his stuff-gorgeous pictures and engaging text. Also, I think Jan Brett is great for boys and girls alike.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 31 2007 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote Anne

Hey Mary,
I have also heard good things about the Billy Blaze books. I looked through some of the Read Aloud Hand Books by Jim Treleaseand came up with..........

Robert McCloskey?   Make Way for Ducklings- Bluberries for Sal
OR

Barbara Cooney? Roxaboxen--Ox-Cart Man
These are also beautiful award winning author/illustrators with stories a boy may love. Good luck with the search. I am getting some good ideas of my own

Back to Top View Anne's Profile Search for other posts by Anne

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2007 at 2:02am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

My ds 6 has loved Eric Carle and Jan Brett. My ds 8 has always seemed to prefer non-fiction.

I'm getting some new ideas here.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote Philothea

We're huge Lois Lenski and Eric Carle fans here, and of course they've been mentioned. Lois Ehlert is another favorite, though -- fun pictures and stories, and you can add tons of extra material to follow the bunny trails, especially with her nature and seasonal books.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2007 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Some that I keep meaning to collect (as they are out of print) are the Henry the Explorer books (and at least one other book not in the series) by Mark Taylor and Graham Booth. We have read all the ones our library has and have thoroughly enjoyed them! Henry and his dog Laird Angus McAngus have fun adventures. Very sweet.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2007 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Philothea -- I'd forgotten about Lois Ehlert! And Lindsay, I'd never seen the Henry the Explorer ones ... I'll have to check those out.

THANKS ladies you are being SUCH a big help!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2007 at 11:59pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well I didn't even know that Lois Lenski wrote picture books, I've only ever read two of her chapter books, Strawberry Girl and Indian Captive both absolutely brilliant.

Thanks for the tip Mary.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

aacckk! My whole post went to the great beyond! I finished, clicked, and got the "cannot find server!" Ugh!

So, quickly recapping my lost post, with no neat links due to time constraints, here are my recommendations:

Seconding Theresa's rec. of Graeme Base, my boys love "The Sign of the Seahorse." Rich colors, great, lively story. He has many titles, too.

Individual titles:
"Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel"
"Dad's Car Wash"
"The Amazing Christmas Extravaganza" (this author has other titles, but we haven't read any of them.)

And I have to run- #5 ds turned 6 today (actually, at 2:57 pm, but who keeps track of that sort of thing? )

Happy Reading!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2007 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Philothea

BEWARE of Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. You will have to read it OVER and OVER and OVER again. Whether you want to or not.

I'm just saying.   
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2007 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Philothea wrote:
BEWARE of Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. You will have to read it OVER and OVER and OVER again. Whether you want to or not.

I'm just saying.   
No kidding! My dh had to read and re-read Papa Small and a few others of the Lenski books -- sometimes 2x in ONE NIGHT!

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2007 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

Jerry Pallotta has some alphabet and number books (construction alphabet and icky bugs come to mind). Jim Arnosky's animal books are good. Gail Gibbons and Anne Rockwell have books that are not girly, or if they are, my boys and I don't notice.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2007 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I'd forgotten all about Arnosky! I love his books ... and Gail Gibbons has wonderful non-fiction too ...

Thanks KellyJ!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version