Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Bee Picture Books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 21 2005 at 2:39am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I wanted to add this cute picture book to the bee study discussion from earlier this year. The Queen with Bees in Her Hair is a fun and cleverly illustrated fairy tale. Helps readers see the importance of bees (and birds) for growing flowers/plants.

Speaking of bees, the honey harvest time is generally now through early fall. It's really fun to find some place that does honey extraction in your area and go watch the process.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2005 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I placed the book on reserve at our library. We are hoping to see some honey extraction while we are apple picking in a few weeks.

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2005 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Our September Library newsletter has a few bee selections for the older crowd. Sept. is National Honey Month.

In Beeing: Life, Motherhood and 180,000 Honey Bees, recently divorced author Rosanne Daryl Thomas describes how on a whim, she set up 3 hives on a neighbor's farm in rural New England.

British food columnist Hattie Ellis wrote Sweetness and Light, a look at the history of bees from the Stone Age to the modern rooftop beekeepers of NYC.

In Robbing the Bees, former literary agent Holley Bishhop uses crisp prose and and a keen wit to make readers love bees as much as she does.

History, science and anecdotes make Stephen Buchmann's book Letters from the Hive a fun introduction to bees and beekeeping...includes recipes.

In a Country Year, Sue Hubbell chronicles her life as a commercial beekeeper in the Misouri Ozarks. Her book a Book of Bees contains more beekeeping specifics but still remains a joyful celebration of rural life.

In Following the Bloom author Douglas Whynott offers amusing stories about the colorful characters that move beehives across the country to pollinate various crops. It's adventure writing at its best.

Gee, I have *never* been interested in reading about bees until now. The power of a book review huh? We'll have to observe Honey Month. I bet there are some great biblical references to tie in!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 2:45am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Last week we did our annual visit to see the honey extraction at a local honey company so I'm thinking of bees again.

Another good bee book - Bumblebee at Apple Tree Lane
It has fabulous illustrations - very vibrant and large.

and a fun recipe...

Peanutbutter Bees
In a mixing bowl, mix 1/2cup peanut butter and 1 tbls. honey. Stir in 1/3 cup dry milk and 2 tbls. wheat germ and mix well. Lay wax paper on a baking sheet. Using 1 tbls. at a time, shape peanut butter into ovals to look like bees. Dip a toothpick in cocoa powder and press lightly across the top of the bees to make stripes and stick a chocolate chip on the back end for a stinger. Stick on almonds for wings. Chill for 30 min.

This is basically what they look like but the above recipe is a healthier alternative and the one we have used.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2005 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

At the dentist's office today (for kids' teeth cleaning; they didn't touch me with a 10-ft pole )I noticed the July 2005 issue of Kids Discover magazine was about bees. Here's a recipe for Honey Lip Balm that we've decided to make for Christmas gifts:

"Put 1 cup sweet almond oil (health food store) and 1/2 cup beeswax in a microsafe bowl and melt on high for 1 minute or until melted. Stir 2 tablespoons honey into the mixture. Let cool completely. When cool pour into small containers with lids."

I can envision a small gift basket with Honey Lip balm, Honey Muffins or cake, honey sticks and tea bags and a cute bee magnet or pin. ....I'm in the middle of Christmas shopping idea time.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2005 at 6:16am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Gwen -- can I be on your Christmas list?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version