Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Resources for Celebrating Liturgical Year Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cjmr
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 18 2005 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote cjmr

Being somewhat new at this (Catholicism and this forum), I'm sure this has been discussed already, but I'm wondering what everyone's favorite resources are for celebrating the liturgical year.

A specific question, I've seen/heard mentioned the concept of building a "Spiritual Crib for Christ" during the Advent season, but have no idea what that means.
Back to Top View cjmr's Profile Search for other posts by cjmr

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 18 2005 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

My favorite subject!!! Here's a thread where we talked about this subject once already Celebrating The Liturgical Year.

I wrote up a list of books that I love. I love using cookbooks for my celebrations. My favorite of all time is Cooking for Christ by Florence Berger, available from NCRLC or an online version at http://library.catholic.org/family/family29.txt.

Also, Ignatius Press has two great cookbooks: A Continual Feast and Cooking with the Saints.

All around books I use frequently are Around the Year with the Trapp Family available online here, Mary Reed Newland's books, Year and our Children and We and Our Children and pamphlets by Helen McLoughlin.

Ann Ball has several books on Catholic celebrations in the home.

Women for Faith and Family also has great resources online for liturgical year ideas.

Dedicated to the devotion of St. Nicholas this is a FANTASTIC site.

A "must read" is a recent document called: Directory on Popular Piety and the Liturgy. It can be found at Catholic Culture.

I can send a very comprehensive list to you if you PM your email address....unless it would be okay to post the list here. It is in CCM files.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2005 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

When I use to teach elementary school we built a spiritual crib each year. We used pieces of paper (made to look like straw) when we saw a child helping someone, being extra polite, etc. they were given a piece of straw to be placed in our manager scene. The kids loved it b/c they were building a cozy spot for Jesus and opening their hearts to one another in the classroom.
We tried to emphasis as a school the reason for the season--the love and peace of Christ. I always loved teaching during Advent. We made so many wonderful memories!!!

Hope this helps. Jenn always has the best ideas.

Marybeth

Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2005 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Jenn's links are the best! I just want to add domestic-church.com.

I second the cookbook suggestions. Last year I broke down and ordered A Year With God from Catholic Heritage Curricula. I really like it. I don't get it out often enough but when I do I almost always find something that can be printed out and used right away.

Welcome to the Church and the board!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2005 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I am constantly inspired by all of you on this list. There are such a variety of ideas.

Another book I have used quite frequently is Saints and Feast Days: A Resource and Activity Book By Sisters of Notre Dame of Chardon, Ohio. but I have to say I use both versions. The newer version is larger, has more saints, but the older version has more ideas. The newer edition cut some of the activities since the list of saints grew. I want to order more from Loyola...any recommendations of their items?

From another list I have another resource to pass on. I can't wait to order some items from them:

Church of St. Paul Catechesis Program. In particular the rosary cards which are very sturdy laminate (safe for teething toddlers). They come on a sturdy keyring, feature very simple watercolors of each mystery based on simple line drawings.

momwise wrote:
Last year I broke down and ordered A Year With God from Catholic Heritage Curricula. I really like it. I don't get it out often enough but when I do I almost always find something that can be printed out and used right away.

I'm glad to hear feedback on that book. I had the older version, didn't like it much, but I heard the newer volume is hands down better. But it's a lot of money!

Maybe some of you have feedback on these books?

Holidays and Holy Nights by Christopher Hill.

Celebrating the Church Year with Young Children by Joan Halmo.

Pauline Books publishes these two by Joan Marie Arbogast:
Living and Celebrating Our Catholic Customs and Traditions: The Lent-Easter Book and Living and Celebrating Our Catholic Customs and Traditions: The Advent-Christmas Book .

How about these books by Jennifer Galvin?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2005 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Oh, I am so intrigued by the books by Jennifer Galvin. I had never heard of them. The prices are very reasonable.

Jenn-when can we expect your book to hit the shelves? I am so nervous my little guy will be grown before I can use all your ideas!!!

Marybeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2005 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Marybeth wrote:
Jenn-when can we expect your book to hit the shelves? I am so nervous my little guy will be grown before I can use all your ideas!!!

It's only in planning stages, I confess. If you want to come down and live in my house while I write so you can watch ds while I work it will go much faster I have an in-law quarter in the basement.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2005 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

cjmr wrote:
A specific question, I've seen/heard mentioned the concept of building a "Spiritual Crib for Christ" during the Advent season, but have no idea what that means.

It's also called "Straws in the Crib" or "Preparing the Manger." Here are some versions of instructions.

Preparing the Manger

Gifts for Jesus, the Advent Manger

Customs of Advent

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2005 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, another great resource from a homeschooling family is Illuminated Ink.

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2005 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Definitely A Year With God from Catholic Heritage Curricula! It's expensive, but worth it.

Lent and Easter in the Domestic Church (Fournier)--the lastest edition also has Epiphany, I believe. I really need a good Epiphany resource--I'm usually so darn tired by then that the season doesn't get the attention it deserves.

The Catholic Parent Book of Feasts (Martin, et.al.) is a good one, too.

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2005 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Jenn,

Don't tempt me to come live with you...I would never leave. You would help make my ds brillant and so devoted to God and His Mother...just like you.

Marybeth who needs you to write and publish your book!!!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2005 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:

Jenn,
When I was visiting her site you mentioned, I just saw that she has a new book - Catholic Traditions In The Home And Classrooms: 365 Days To Celebrate A Catholic Year. Have you seen it yet? I'm wondering what it's like and if it would be worth getting.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2005 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
jenngm67 wrote:

Jenn,
When I was visiting her site you mentioned, I just saw that she has a new book - Catholic Traditions In The Home And Classrooms: 365 Days To Celebrate A Catholic Year. Have you seen it yet? I'm wondering what it's like and if it would be worth getting.

I have a confession to make. Although I include Ann Ball's works and site on my suggested sources, I don't really like her books. The photos are black and white and some of her crafts are kitschy and basic. But other people like them, and I do have her other three books...but usually bought used.

I thumbed through briefly her newest and thought it looked okay...but I didn't want to pay full price. So, short answer, I can't really say either way. I was waiting to hear other good feedback before I bought it. Sorry!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2005 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

A followup on Ann Ball's books. I had some time this weekend to browse. She has two newer books. The Catholic Traditions in the Home and Classroom is okay. It's got an entry for each day, with a simple or more elaborate idea for the day, even if it's not a feast day. Some could be prayers, blessings, craft, food. I could say it's chock full of ideas -- 365, to be exact, but not necesssarily a variety for each feast day, so for different age or difficulty levels you don't have much choice.

But I did see another book that I hadn't seen advertised called Encyclopedia of Catholic Devotions and Practices. It's a very thick volume, $35 at the bookstore, but has little entries with short explanations of common and very obscure Catholic customs. I think it would be a great reference book. Anyway, information can be found here on both books.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2005 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I also wanted to add a link to an older article. Probably many of you have seen this A Trapp family Christmas - from the collection of Christmas stories in Will Mrs. Major Go to Hell by the late author Aloise Buckley Heath; a holiday publication tradition by National Review.

It's a good reminder that even the best laid plans can go awry, but you can still have a wonderful, holy and enjoyable family celebration even if it isn't like Maria Von Trapp.

Personally, I would love to hear some of her children/stepchildren's perspectives (not bitter), but just reminisces of what it really was like. Were there reluctant singers? Reluctant bakers and crafters? Some that didn't get along with each other? That is a big difference with Mary Reed Newland's writings...she does show her children's weaknesses and failures.

Anyway, enjoy!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2005 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Ah Jenn, this is such a great topic! I want to second, hands down, the Von Trapp book (and yes, the Aloise Buckley Heath article was a hoot) and the Mary Reed Newland books. The big hold-up to homeschooling, for me, was that I am a convert and I felt I couldn't provide that Catholic culture without sending my children to a Catholic school. I know, silly me, but there it was. Reading those two books, as well as "The Story of the Trapp Family Singers", AND Laurie Gill's nice little compendium volumes on celebrating Advent & Christmas, and "The Fifty Day's of Easter for the Christian Family"---these books really helped get me on the right track. I realized that many of these lovely traditions certainly didn't require a Catholic school! You know, one cup of hymns, add one group of students,add one Catholic school, mix and voila=Catholic Culture!    Anyway, these books really helped pave the way for this nascent Catholic. Only after I started homeschooling, did I realize how much MORE the Catholic homeschoolers tend to embrace the liturgical year. I've lost track of how many years we've been doing a May crowning, while the local parochial school never does one. Just one of many wonderful traditions available to us homeschoolers!

CJMR, you've got a lot of great reading ahead of you. Plumbing the depths of our Catholic culture is a joy. Have fun!

Kelly in FL (who was just practicing a couple of songs---from the Von Trapp book--- for the upcoming feast of the Archangels!)
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version