Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living and Loving Numbers
 4Real Forums : Living and Loving Numbers
Subject Topic: Free complete math program Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 18 2007 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

I just wanted to mention in case some were not aware...

We've begun using MEP math http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm full-time for my 9yos, after dabbling in it last year- testing the waters with my three remaining students.

The girls did not like it as much as the programs they were already using, but my son *loves* it! It fits beautifully with CM's ideas about math (mostly oral discussion and practice, very little pencil work) and makes perfect sense to him. He is dyslexic and has ADHD, so he of course needs to know "WHY??" and is allergic to paper

I love that it goes all the way through high school (with three different academic levels), so there will be no switching around later.

Anyone else using this?

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2007 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

wow that IS a great find!

I've been looking for something to let my oldest wander into math a bit more comfortably than saxon, which he isdoing without complaint or trouble, but obviously not getting much enjoyment out of.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2007 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Lori -- thanks so much for posting this link Center for Mathematics -- the lessons look good and it's pretty easy. I went ahead and requested a password -- let's see what happens!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 18 2007 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

Mary, in the younger years (up to 6th, I think) the bulk of the lessons are in the teacher's pages, the student pages are only for reinforcement- did you look through both? The program is sooo easy to use, and almost scripted (but flexible). In the upper years, the student pages are meant to be used more independently, and you would only need to use the teacher pages if they need help.

There are also some levels that have interactive (online) lessons, though we haven't tried those.

And I think I got my password the day after I applied. They only have them password protected so that the students in the UK (where the program is used in many schools) can't look up the answers to their tests You can use the complete first half of every level without a password, though.
Back to Top View Lori B's Profile Search for other posts by Lori B

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote Lori B

Also, there is a Yahoo group for users of MEP in case you have questions, find a mistake in a book, etc.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mep-homeschoolers/

*sigh* I really wish I could post proper links

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Lori B wrote:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mep-homeschoolers/

*sigh* I really wish I could post proper links
Lori -- just click the globe/link button, type in whatever you wan to call the link, click and copy in the http stuff.

Also, I got the password for the pdf stuff so it's not too stringent on who can join -- in other words, they'll let homeschoolers "play" too!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

Oh, yes! They absolutely allow homeschoolers to make use of their program! The Yahoo group I mentioned is just homeschoolers (mostly in the US) who are using MEP.

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 25 2007 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

I have been using this with my older son (Year 7). He loves doing his math on computer--
I love that it is SELF-CHECKING!!!

To do it better one should print out the revision tests and things as well as the online activities, but I'm being a bit "unschooley" with math at the moment--so I'm not. But it's really quite complete with all those things added. He and I also both liked that it started with a "logic" unit.

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2007 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote mariB

I am a little slow today. Is year 3 also grade 3? I love the way it looks! Just how I have been wanting to teach math.

Thanks,

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2007 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Not quite.
Here's a better description of the years/ages scroll to the "School Curriculum Materials" section.

Years 1 - 6 are for AGES 5 - 11.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 26 2007 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

Year 1 would be roughly kindergarden in NA.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version