Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: The Gap Year? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Is anyone doing this? We heard from a friend that a year off between high school and college is called a "Gap" year. Dd is very interested in doing this to A. Save more $$ for school and B. Build up a more varied art portfolio. Benedictine College wants to have the portfolio by mid-year
and she just won't have it ready by then. She's just now deciding to enter as an Art major. I'm sure most other colleges are the same.

How do college apps and scholarships work with a gap year? Do you take the ACT in senior year and then retest again or just wait and take it after senior year? Do you wait and apply for schools and scholarships or do it this year?

Also, is it possible to make short visits to religious orders like the Sisters for Life? Like a week or two?

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Oooh! I am eagerly watching this thread! My sister is taking a Gap Year - with us on the sailboat. I've been plunged into FAFSA'a and other such mind boggling things.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

It is fairly common here in Australia - a year off to work, travel, do other things before universty. Seems to work well.

We have taken the other route - start uni courses a bit earlier than the usual age ( around 16 or 17), part time, externally and also continue with unschooling and part time work!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 11:29pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

More information, please! This is the first time I've heard a name given to this option.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2007 at 12:32am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Here is some info from the University of Sydney.

Another article on using a gap year wisely.

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2007 at 2:32am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Gap years are very common here too. Our nephew spent his working part time and also attending a music college part time to improve his violin playing before going on to study other subjects at uni. It allowed him to spend some time out of academics focusing on a special interest. Our niece just spent her gap year working to save money for uni.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 23 2007 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

I have some friends whose DS was a 'young' senior. He is giving a year of service before he decides to go to college or begin a career. So far it has been great! He is a co-worker for Regnum Christi and is spending the year in Ireland. I don't know of any other programs specificaly, but I am sure there are other ministries and mission work things that work similarly. I am reminded of the young Mormon boys who give two years of service after HS graduation. Personally, I would have loved that opportunity.

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 25 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Interesting topic! This had always been our plan. Libby finished her high school requirements last year, and is taking this year to concentrate on music so she can do well at her auditions.

Our gap year is stealth, however. I won't say she has graduated until this June (she'll be 17), and since she is taking a college class (physics), working, and doing many other independent things, this will be her senior year--it's just light, and more focused than most seniors' last year.

Lisa, we spoke with several LDS "sisters" while in Utah this summer, and they all agreed that the mission time that the young men spent matured them and helped them to become better men. While I see this as a great idea for traditionally-schooled boys, I wonder if homeschooled boys don't get this just by being with family and being out in the real world...do we need a gap year, or can we make the senior year count in a more real way?

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Oct 30 2007 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Zenit has an article today on a new U.K. website on the gap year. It's called Catholic Gap Year. It reminded me of this thread.

According to the Zenit article, a gap year can be taken before college begins, as a year-long break at some point during college, or after college graduation and before beginning a regular job.

After reading that, I realized that I actually took a "gap year" myself. (And a Catholic one at that!) I spent the year after graduating from college working with Net Ministries. It was a fantastic experience and led me to become a parish youth minister later. I highly recommend it!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version