Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Feast of The Exaltation of the Holy Cross Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 13 2007 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

I have a few ideas for celebrating this feast tomorrow. I thought I would share them and hope someone else will share more ideas.

Mass and Rosary in the morning

Pray the LITANY OF THE HOLY CROSS and also the Prayer before a Crucifix:

Look down upon me, good and gentle Jesus, while before thy face I humbly kneel, and with burning soul pray and beseech thee to fix deep in my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope and charity, true contrition for my sins, and a firm purpose of amendment, while I contemplate with great love and tender pity thy five wounds, pondering over them within me, calling to mind the words which David, thy prophet, said of thee, my good Jesus: "They have pierced my hands and my feet; they have numbered all my bones"

Next, say the "Our Father..." "Hail Mary..." "Glory Be..." for the intentions of our Holy Father.

Read The Tale of Three Trees

Make cross shaped cookies

Decorate foam crosses and paint a wooden cross

From Catholic Culture: Tradition holds that sweet basil grew over the hill where St. Helena found the Holy Cross, so in Greece the faithful are given sprigs of basil by the priest. Cook a basil pesto, tomato basil salad (with the last of the summer tomatoes) or some other type of recipe that includes basil.

We'll have pasta with pesto sauce for dinner.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

marianne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 13 2007 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote marianne

Thank you for the ideas! I think we are doing the handprint cross that someone posted about, and painting wooden crosses that I got at HL.

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 13 2007 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

We're planning to make crayon shavings-melted-in-Wax-paper, then it cut out in the shape of crosses. I'll put them up as "stained glass" on the window.

Another possibility: make them out of sculpey.

Thanks for the reminder about the litany of the cross. That will make the evening prayer time memorable.

ck
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 13 2007 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Tale of Three Trees is a great reminder of how this feast connects both Christmas and Calvary. I'm not very creative thinking these days, but perhaps bringing in some tie-in with Christmas, even if just discussion.

In his "Life of Christ", Bishop Sheen stressed that Jesus was the only person to ever come into the world to die. Everyone else is born to live, only make a name of himself, accomplish anything while they are living. Christ's purpose was to die on the cross and open the gates of Heaven.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MrsKey
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 13 2007 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote MrsKey

I'll be celebrating the Feast by attending the Solemn High Mass in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite being celebrated at the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament in Alabama.

But I think we'll add the Litany of the Holy Cross to our evening prayers! Thanks.

Back to Top View MrsKey's Profile Search for other posts by MrsKey

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 13 2007 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

My family is going to a High Latin Mass. It is the first one that my dd or I have attended. I am very excited since one of our favorite priests is celebrating the mass.

I have the Tale of Three Trees and plan on reading it with help from Catholic Mosaic.

Should I take some basil to our priest? I have it growing in our herb garden. I think that he would appreciate it. He is a wonderful and holy priest (he finished his theology in Rome at the Pontifical College of North America).

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

JennGM wrote:
In his "Life of Christ", Bishop Sheen stressed that Jesus was the only person to ever come into the world to die. Everyone else is born to live, only make a name of himself, accomplish anything while they are living. Christ's purpose was to die on the cross and open the gates of Heaven.

Thanks, Jenn. My husband loves Bishop Sheen's writings. I'll have to read this to him.

Carole N. wrote:

Should I take some basil to our priest? I have it growing in our herb garden. I think that he would appreciate it. He is a wonderful and holy priest (he finished his theology in Rome at the Pontifical College of North America).

What a great idea. I think we'll give our priest some as well. He's coming over for lunch today.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

I'm going to post pictures of our craft today, here. I'm sure the kids will have a lot of fun.

I had another idea, but I wasn't able to find what I needed.

I went to the baking section looking for a candy mold in shapes of crosses, so we could melt chocolate and have them for our tea time, but no luck. I did find an alphabet mold, but that's another thread.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

And this is what I was thinking of baking today .
Of course, as Catholic Culture points out, you might prefer hot cross buns
(You might like another recipe, but I recommend the cross and glaze from this... much more traditional )

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

EmilyC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote EmilyC

This afternoon we're having cross shaped brownies, and we'll read The Three Trees. I have some wooden crosses that MIL picked up somewhere, and I'll have the kids paint them. Possibly some copywork from The Three Trees to put in their liturgical year notebooks.

I'm excited, as this is our first offical tea time this year!

Sarah (13) Robbie & Riley (10) Regina (nearly 3)
My secular lit-based curriculum:
Build Your Library curriculum
Back to Top View EmilyC's Profile Search for other posts by EmilyC Visit EmilyC's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Thanks for all the ideas Ruth!

[quote=EmilyC]This afternoon we're having cross shaped brownies]

Emily -- that's my kind of celebration!! We'll have to try that! I always have brownie mix!! I'll just have to do some fancy cutting b/c I can't find my cross cookie cutter!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

We made a wonderful handprint cross that I saw in Dawn's September plans. It came out lovely.

We also read The Three Trees. No matter how many times I have read it to the kids I still get chills.

We just didn't have time for cookie making though, my daughter even made the dough last night. Maybe tomorrow.

Thank you, Ruth, for your inspiration.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Well, we weren't able to make the cookies, since my oven is still broken and my neighbors weren't home. We did have a huge feast for lunch with our priest. We made homemade pesto and used it for dipping bread. We gave him the leftover pesto, and he said he was going to give it to his mom. These are great ideas. Have a blessed rest of the day.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version