Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Alternatives to "Voyages" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 13 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

My little brother is homeschooling for the first time this year after a dismal round with the govt. schools.

We had started doing Voyages in English and the poor kid is like a deer in headlights. I think the problem is that this assumes a background of similar fundamentals and frankly my brother doesn't have those fundamentals. So he's been quite frustrated.

So we are on the lookout for something more user-friendly for a NON-english-loving child in the 7th grade.

Any ideas?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 13 2007 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Are you starting with the 7th grade level? I know others will give some good suggestions, but I was thinking if you started with 4th or 5th grade Voyages he could get the fundamentals.

But I understand if you are wanting something easier.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 13 2007 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Maybe Easy Grammer?
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

italianalaskan
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 13 2007 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote italianalaskan

'Till last year I was doing Voyajes with my now 5th ds. I hated it and he hated it even more. It's too boring and not repetitive. Now we are doing Winston grammar. So much better. I have to explain less, the lessons are shorter and there are the visual cards that help hime remember.

For the composition we are doing the Institute for Excellence in Writing and it really works.

Simona
Back to Top View italianalaskan's Profile Search for other posts by italianalaskan

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 13 2007 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

We use Shurely English. When you begin you'll think oh my what have I begun...but...the fruit that you reap is wonderful! It is time intensive, you have to work through it with the student, there is always something to present...some days you will be done in 5 minutes, other days maybe 20 minutes...that to me is it's biggest drawback. But if you are willing to invest this time...like I said, you will reap the reward!

It really goes over basics, from the very beginning. We are using the 5th grade book this year (already completed 3rd and 4th). All of the grades that we have used begin with what is a sentence, what are the parts, and then moves on. As the grades have progressed the vocabulary they use in the sentences is progressed and some concepts are given as much as time as in the lower grades.

They don't do diagramming in the since that they are drawing lines and such. But you are classifying each and every word. They do have songs to go along with the concepts...so a 7th grade boy probably won't like them. But I would suggest that you as his teacher listen and then just chant/read them to him with a bit of beat. They totally do the trick after just a couple of readings....

my boys can say "an adverb modifies a verb, adjective or another adverb, an adverb asks how? when? where?, to find an adverb go, ask, get, where do I go? to a verb, adjective or another adverb...what do I get, an adverb, that's what!"

It's slightly catchy...but it's just a little example to show how they can find these grammar parts and how they fit together. It also does other grammar stuffs...noun verb agreement, etc.

Shurley also has vocabulary lessons and writing lessons as well included. We don't do those, we use other programs. But for grammar, I have been super pleased with Shurley.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 13 2007 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I would second the suggetion for Winston Grammar for an "older" child who has not previously had formal grammar instruction. It builds things up slowly and clearly and is kind of fun.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 13 2007 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

I do use "Voyages," but my oldest DD has trouble with grammar, so we're supplementing with this.

It's a totally secular program but it covers the basics in a friendly, nonthreatening way, and my daughter likes it so far.

It might make a good "interim" book if you're planning to look at several possible new programs.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Have you thought about Margot's Intermediate Language Lessons or Lingua Mater
-- these cover all that Voyages would (may be need to supplement some of the grammar) but in a nice way ... you could even do one or the other slowly over a couple of years and he'd have a good strong grounding....

I love Margot's books -- I'm using her PLL for Thomas this year and he's not balking too badly (altho they all HATE table work )

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I second Mary's recommendation for Lingua Mater. My oldest used it for 7th grade last year. Now my 6th grader is beginning it, with the plan to take two years to finish, as CHC suggests.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I'll 3rd Lingua Mater.
For that matter, if that seems too advanced, I'd suggest starting with Hillsides ILL.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

We are using Winston with my 7th grade son. He has some vision issues which makes anything with lots and lots of busy print on a page very difficult. Voyages was impossible. He was forever mixing nouns and verbs up no matter how hard he tried. He is very diligent and generally likes things to the point - no hoopla and definitely no "touchy feely kind of stuff." He is basically a math and science guy - and the Winston grammar is working really well for us. I got the basic and the Advanced set at the same time as I knew we'd move through the basic one quickly once he could begin to sort things out. I think the thing that helps most is that while you are learning basic concepts of nouns and verbs - you are not just picking them out of stunted sentences - but real sounding sentences with lots of other words in them - if you have not been introduced to those parts you simply place a black card in front to indicate unknown. The sentences are somewhat controlled so you are not confused by those really tricky type of things that seem to undo what they are beginning to get a handle on before it has a chance to sink in. Right away, though, you learn that it isn't a matter of memorizing nouns and verbs - but usage in a sentence.

This is the first year that we have liked grammar and it seems to be sticking. We've tried just about everything. I think someone with a more creative bent might like one of the other programs that incorporates grammar in more lovely stories and pictures - but my son hated those and couldn't seem to get it. Voyages was disasterous for him. Winston is definitely short and to the point. It involves maybe 5 minutes for me to present something and not much more time for him to do a worksheet.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

acystay
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote acystay

I wish I had other suggestions to help, but I just have to say this for any others reading...I used Voyages when I taught for Catholic schools and absolutely hated it. My second year, I went and scraped it and did other things like READING! and looking at language and how things fit and editing every day. Mind you with the 1 class I did still do Voyages just to see if it made any difference and well, it didn't. They actually would race through it to get to their reading or wouldn't do it at all. I had better success with personal spelling list and writing workshops and real life editing.

I know it is a Catholic publisher, but Catholic it is not. They wanted to appeal to a greater crowd of people, but I think they have really lessened the joy of learning for many children. It breaks my heart!

Stacy
Back to Top View acystay's Profile Search for other posts by acystay

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

To throw another one into the mix, we found a really good program this year that we're using with our high schooler for him to cement the grammar, and for our 7th grader for grammar this year. It's simple, nice, and easy to implement. It's called Hands on English, and you can find it here: Hands on English

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

Did someone say grammar?    Elizabeth and I just posted our newest main lesson block on Serendipity. It's a year-long grammar unit called Lively Language Lessons and it's geared to span the ages.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2007 at 5:07am | IP Logged Quote mariB

I am really liking First Language Lessons level 3 by Susan Bauer.(You can take a peek inside it at CBD Books.) We've gotten into diagramming. There are ideas for copy work and dictation and it is repetitive...which is good for us. We do narration on the side, too.

My son is in 6th grade and doesn't like writing but loves this program.(There are 100 lessons.) He also gets some of his grammar from a latin course he is taking.

Blessings,

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version