Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Calligraphy book/set? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 12 2007 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Can anyone recommend a good calligraphy book or book and pen set?

This would be for a child, not me.

I ordered the paperinkarts catalog, but in the meanwhile, I'm wondering about other ideas.

Thanks,
CK
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 12 2007 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

We got this

calligraphy set for our 11-yo.

And The Calligrapher's Bible to accompany the set.

He loves both!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 12 2007 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

What age? Is this total beginner?

Paper and Ink Arts are the best, IMHO. The catalog is very enticing, but most basic stuff is on the web, too. The owners are calligraphers themselves and I've received great advice over the phone for materials for children.

When I first started learning calligraphy, the Sheaffer cartridge pen set was my first pen (that was 30 years ago). It's a pretty good pen set. I've also used Osmiroid (which is no longer made), Platignum, and Manuscript. You can see some cartridge pen choices here. Manuscript is also sold at Michael's (or used to be) and $12.95 is a great beginning price. It is now my favorite cartridge pen.

If your child is younger and never had any experience with a calligraphy pen, I'd recommend starting off with a felt calligraphy marker to learn how to hold the point at the proper angle. permanent marker choices and water based. This is where the ladies helped me choose the right kind, as I was planning on teaching my nieces and nephews together.

The Usborne Calligraphy book is really good. I also like the looks of the Eleanor Winters books (see link).

I personally would hold off on the fountain calligraphy. The biggest keys to learning calligraphy is the angle of the pen, slant, spacing, and consistency -- so lots of practice with pages of loops, lines, circles and then letters. Calligraphy is a broad term, with many types of lettering under that name.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2007 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Jenn and Steff,
Thank you for this info!

I think markers will be a better place to start. My ds is almost 8, and other than his own unique calligraphy, no experience.

We'll check out fountain pens later, if we take off. Good to know about the "Bible"! Looks fab!

thanks again,
Ck

Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 08 2010 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Bumping this....was searching for hints, book names, advice for beginning calligraphy for kids. My almost 8 yo would like to start learning this year.

There are several books for kids when I typed in Jenn's title Calligraphy For Kids into Amazon.

Quote:
If your child is younger and never had any experience with a calligraphy pen, I'd recommend starting off with a felt calligraphy marker to learn how to hold the point at the proper angle. permanent marker choices and water based. This is where the ladies helped me choose the right kind, as I was planning on teaching my nieces and nephews together.

Can I buy these at basic craft stores like Michael's? Or not?

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 08 2010 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I just saw these two books at Emmanuel Books:

:: Book #4 in their Writing Can Help series
:: Calligraphy First Steps

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 08 2010 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

SuzanneG wrote:

That's what we used, it was very basic but just right for my son at the time (4th grade). We bought a calligraphy pen at the craft store. Be sure to check the width of the nib (? - I mean the tip). The first one we bought was too wide for the ruled lines in the book.

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 08 2010 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:

We enjoy calligraphy and have several different books, but this one is my dd's favorite. She used it and really liked it. We found it straightforward, simple to use, and great for a self-motivated child. My dd laminated the lettering guide and tucked it inside her copywork/commonplace book so that she can continue to use it. This would probably be a good starter book for your 8yo, Suzanne. Not expensive, and if she enjoys it and wants to pursue more, you can do that.

The Calligraphers Bible has been a good follow-up book. Once Sarah had her lettering and slant down well, she used this for further inspiration.   

JennGM wrote:
When I first started learning calligraphy, the Sheaffer cartridge pen set was my first pen (that was 30 years ago). It's a pretty good pen set.

Me too! In fact, I still have mine. Sarah started using ZIG calligraphy pens, which are nice, but once you start getting serious about calligraphy, you'll want a real calligraphy pen because we learned through some trial and error that though there is a learning curve, it just performs better and writes nicer calligraphy. Sheaffer pen sets are still available, and what I would recommend for a starter set. I think I saw these at Michael's so you could use your coupon.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2010 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Thank You for the feedback, everyone!

While we were searching around this morning, we saw some books on Creative Lettering (there are others in this series too) which she thought looked fun for ideas, etc. And, also for big sister who isn't interested in the precision of calligraphy, nec....but would love the fun lettering stuff for decorations, designs, etc.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2010 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Suzanne, those felt-tip calligraphy markers can be found at Michael's. There are different tip sizes.

I'll jump in here with a few other opinions. Calligraphy is a broad term. In fact the dictionary calls it "Art of fine handwriting" which does give it a lot of room. It can be using pointed pen, like Copperplate, to different nib sizes, smaller for Italic, broader for Uncial or Celtic, etc.

The basics would be across the board, like learning to print or write cursive at first, but using a different pen and holding it at different angles, and being precise in imitation of the fonts. Deciding which fonts to pursue would mean expanding into more specific tools.

Usborne has some wonderful books on Calligraphy that I would recommend, also.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 16 2010 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

My daughter is very much enjoying her ZIG markers and is doing wonderfully with the Book #4 (Calligraphy) from Emmanuel Books! Thank you everyone! I'm looking at an additional "pretty book" for her for Christmas.

Thought you'd all get a kick out of one of her practice pages from a few weeks ago:

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 16 2010 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version