Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Why is art essential? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

I am hoping to solicite some inspiration, wisdom and encouragement on why art education, both in practice and appreciation, is an essential part of the curriculum. I have been working with my own reluctant draw-er and in the process becoming aware of my own beliefs about the importance of art in the curriculum, based on my public school experience. During my school years, art, theater, and music were viewed as entirely optional and supplemental, and largely reserved for those who demonstrated a particular interest or talent. I graduated from highschool, and college too for that matter, with "honors" yet I have almost ZERO background in art or music. In traditional schools, lack of art education is NOT seen as a deficit, as long as proficiency is shown in the "essential" subjects.

So, its a shift for me to consider the arts as an essential part of the curriculum. I want to believe it, so I should be an easy sell!

So for those of you who are truly believers, I'd love to hear how art is integrated into your curriculum, and how you appreciate its value.

**Chari, I KNOW you are a believer! But if you don't have time to chime in here..we can discuss it over that cup of tea we keep planning to have!

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Art is beauty, beauty is an attribute of God, we want to increase our own awareness of God's attributes. Art is the ONLY thing that has transended every civilization. Art and beauty are essential in the formation of a soul, they open the spirit to higher truths, they raise our minds to heaven, leading us to meditate on the ultimate creator and artist.   The arts liberate our souls , allowing us to be more receptive to the beauty of God.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I believe art truly is essential for a well-rounded education. Art and music bring so much joy into our lives in so many unexpected ways. Today in a restaurant my ds perked up and said, "Mommy, it's the music from the car!" as the restaurant began playing Pavarotti singing a Verdi opera. Ds was so excited to "recognize" this music.

Having said that, though, I also believe that some people, while they can love music, enjoy beautiful art and pictures, etc are just never going to be "draw-ers".
They can fully appreciate art and create art in various ways other than putting pencil to paper.

I think of my dh as a classic example. He truly enjoys beautiful photography. He is a carpenter and artist- creating wonderful wood pieces. Yet the only drawing he's ever done in his life is mathematical line drawings for work (chem e) and diagrams for his wood projects. If he were forced to spend time learning to sketch trees or horses or whatever, he would be very frustrated and unhappy.

So maybe you can incorporate art into your curriculum in lots of different ways that your ds might enjoy more than basic drawing? Just a thought...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Absolutly Melinda, we do not want to limit our ideas of the arts. It cracks me up when people refer only to painting and drawing as art. Nonsense, explore all the mediums, the exposure will increase the yearning and desire to find ones nitch in the vast world of the arts.   There are countless avenues to explore, I am getting excited for you.

Shawna I know you are not Catholic, so this may not speak to you, however, our last Pope, John Paul ll has a wonderful letter to the artist that for me solidified my beliefs. I will try to link it later, if someone else wants to that is great.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 12:28am | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Wonderful thoughts. Chicken Lady...you are very eloquent! And expanding the definition of ART is certainly something I need to look at for sure.

And Chickie, I'd love to read that article. Its always great to read wise words from Godly people, and the spiritual aspects of art are not ones I've considered much, outside just appreciating the amazing and well-known works of the Renaissance. Thanks!

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Here is his letter. Hope you find it helpful.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote Martha

If we expand art as chicken lady suggest, then I agree it is essential. Writing is certainly an essential art for example. Who can read a book that has made them laugh or a poem that has made them cry and not call that art?

Engineering is certainly an art too. Building, ships, planes, and so much more is dependent on the imagination and workmanship of the designer.

Now, if we say, music or drawing or sewing are essential arts, then I would disagree. I don't think they are at all. If a child shows interest, then that's all well and good, for that particuliar child to need that as their essential art. For another child though, those may not be essential at all. In fact, insisting they give those time may keep them from developing an interest in an art that could be essential to their individual nature.

I think I would lean more to the concept that various art exposure is essential to all children, rather than any particuliar art is essential to every child.

there. clear as mud once again.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Martha,
I want to understand what you are saying. Which arts do you consider essential, particularly in light of the Holy Father's letter? It is difficult for me to imagine depriving a child of music or drawing because it is not essential.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

ShawnaB wrote:
Its always great to read wise words from Godly people,

First, please accept my apologies if the above statement communicated disrespect. It was late when I wrote that, and now as I re-read, it seems that simply describing Pope John Paul II as one of many "wise and Godly" people seems disrespectful and inaccurate. And while he is indeed both wise and Godly, even as a non-Catholic Christian, I have a deep respect for the Pope, and I did not communicate that very well! I hope you'll forgive me.

Secondly, wow, what a beautiful letter. Thank you for sharing it. Such esteem and importance are placed on both the vocation of the artist and the art that is produced. My favorite quote is:

In order to communicate the message entrusted to her by Christ, the Church needs art. Art must make perceptible, and as far as possible attractive, the world of the spirit, of the invisible, of God. It must therefore translate into meaningful terms that which is in itself ineffable. Art has a unique capacity to take one or other facet of the message and translate it into colours, shapes and sounds which nourish the intuition of those who look or listen. It does so without emptying the message itself of its transcendent value and its aura of mystery.

Elizabeth, after reading that letter, I have no doubt that art, in all of its forms, is certainly essential. My question becomes, what does that mean...how does it flesh out in my home, as I endeavor to educate my children?

Art education of any kind was certainly not seen as essential when I was a child. I still believe that even if I had been given instruction in drawing or needlework or music, and exposed to great architecture and visual art and composers, and it were to have been expected that I develop proficiency...I still would likely not be an "artist" today by popular definition. However, perhaps I might have more skills today both for enjoying artistic pursuits personally, and for appreciating the works of others. Its hard to say.

The comfortable path for me is to place art on the back burner to all of the "core" subjects...the ones that you can quantify... and the ones that appear on the State Standards. I'm not very confident in guiding my children to appreciate art, and less so is guiding them to create it in any form. But I am willing to stretch myself towards a goal that is truly "essential."

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Shawna, I certainly did'nt feel you were disrespectful.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the letter and understand the essence of art. I will ponder your latter concerns and questions. I will pray for you, I can hear your sincere quest for knowledge. It is always hard for me to put into form a new thought process and the application is even more of a stretch    Great topic, I always love talking art!!!!

Pax,
Molly

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Shawna, I already love this thread. Thanks for starting it.

One of the reasons that I wanted to homeschool is that I wanted my children to have a rich experience in the arts. It was even more important to me than uber-academics.

I, too, attended public school all the way through and while I took the obligatory art classes and was involved in music on various levels, I did not feel that I had any real knowledge or appreciation for the fine arts. I really did not know any artist from another and had little experience expressing myself in any art form.

When my oldest was in kindergarten, I purchased the Mommy It's a Renoir series for art appreciation. (I believe it now has a new title that perhaps someone can pipe in with.) My son loved holding those little postcards with the beautiful works of art, matching the pairs and paintings. He knows the difference between Renoir and Goya, Matisse and Monet because of that gentle little program as do my other children who have also used it.

I have never been very good at sketching so together he and I painted with watercolors each day. We bought a simple Prang set, a good brush and some quality paper. Each of my children now has a set and we use them often, replacing them as necessary. This year we are going to experiment with tube watercolors and some Waldorf wet on wet painting.

Only last year did I purchase a hands on art program to teach some drawing and experiment with other media like pastels and watercolor crayons. It is called Artistic Pursuits. The books start at kindergarten level, which I bought and used with my 10, 7, and 3 yo. children. I did each lesson with them myself and learned a ton that I had never been taught. There are sample pages on the website if you are interested in seeing them. (I will mention here that I am not fond of the edgy, anime-looking covers and do not understand why they use them on books full of such lovely lessons. But you know the old saying, "Don't judge a book..." )

While I think life can be surely be lived without any true knowledge of art or any means of expressing oneself through it, it would be a flat and dull existance for me. Only since beginning homeschooling have I become more comfortable expressing myself artistically. I think most people prone to perfectionism (with which I struggle) are often hesitant to "do art". It leaves you vulnerable. Art takes courage.

I do hope that as my children grow, they will find a medium that they love, whether it be watercolor, clay or pencil drawing. The older I get, the more I desire to be artistic. I hope that continues.

God Bless,
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Rebecca wrote:
When my oldest was in kindergarten, I purchased the Mommy It's a Renoir series for art appreciation. (I believe it now has a new title that perhaps someone can pipe in with.)

Child-size Masterpieces.

We love it here, too.   

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2007 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Rebecca wrote:
One of the reasons that I wanted to homeschool is that I wanted my children to have a rich experience in the arts. It was even more important to me than uber-academics.

Me too!

You are right Rebecca, it does take courage, those who can not see the rainbow often make absurd comments to those who do!
YOu are an artist Rebecca,you are creating a masterpiece in your home, enveloping your children in the knowledge and love of GOd. You are using all your senses to mold precious souls. You are participating with God the Creator in his creation.
As for exploring the more tangible arts, we only do that after we have confidence and knowledge in the aforementioned.
The arts are a risk, they leave one very vulnerable for misunderstanding, but when you understand JPll letter and really own it, you can more easily deflect comments and allow them to stay where they belong.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2007 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Elizabeth wrote:
Martha,
I want to understand what you are saying. Which arts do you consider essential, particularly in light of the Holy Father's letter? It is difficult for me to imagine depriving a child of music or drawing because it is not essential.

ah, but it is not depriving them in the least if it is not essential for that particuliar child. To insist a child who has no love of nor desire in music or drawing be as required to it as to math or writing, imho, deprives them of the chance to find what they are passionate about.

In light of JP2's letter (which I too enjoyed by the way) I offer you this quote from it:

Quote:
Not all are called to be artists in the specific sense of the term. Yet, as Genesis has it, all men and women are entrusted with the task of crafting their own life: in a certain sense, they are to make of it a work of art, a masterpiece.
(emphases mine)

It would seem he would agree with ChickenLady in that the term "art" can be and should be broadened to encompass more than simply music and drawing, although those should be encouraged where there is inclination and at the least be offerred as a legitimate option in education. (None of that "If it's not a viable trade you shouldn't waste time on it." nonsense.)

I don't consider any particuliar arts essential. My dh and I have, finally, a balance that works for us. My dh did it all. Band, orchestra, art, soccer, and MUCH more. He says he feels none of it contributed to making him a better father, husband, employee, or what ever. Some social dynamics involved in the fun, but that's about it. He hasn't felt a desire to play sax even once in 15 years. To him that was a lot of wasted time and money that could have gone towards things that he would have benefited from more.

Now, I on the other hand, was never in a single even remotely art type activity. No school plays, no music at all, no sports, nothing but cut-and-paste art, and not even that after 5th grade. I don't think I was deprived, but I do think I missed some of that sense of beauty and creativity. I'm still this way to a large extent, a very practical person. Just play with the clay? No way. Not me. I have a plan for it!

Our balance is to offer a bit of this and that to the kids and see what is essential to who they are. For me, it's essential to who I am to have books and to write. I honestly can't imagine getting up in the morning without them. For my 3rd son it IS art in it's classical term. That boy is happiest with come colored pencils and a blank sheet of paper. My 2nd son loves to design and create things, weapons, costumes, etc.. My first was a tough nugget to figure. He actually has a really strong dislike for almost all traditional arts. But he loves K'nex. He likes working with his hands to build machines. He loves music in the sense of "Oh I love that song!", but I had to constantly browbeat him to get even 15 minutes of practice out of him when we paid for lessons, obviously that is not an essential art to who he is.

So again, I think 3 things:
1. what classifies as "art" should be broadened
2. what classifies as essential should be determined by the unique child, not a hard and fast rule
3. they should at least get exposure to various things to find their own essential art needs

I have no idea if this makes sense to anyone other than me. Like I said previously, once again, I'm probably clear as mud.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Chiming in late here....

This got me thinking about how when the Nazis invaded Poland and how a young Pope John Paul II encouraged people in the theater to not forego beauty - a use of the arts to convey God's beauty and hope and hope to the people.

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Sorry, I clicked too soon...

I am just so struck with how JPII had an appreciation for everything created by God...nature, art, relationships...

He really had a gift for seeing the beauty and being excited about it.

I think if we remember the First Creator, we see the reason to appreciate...it's a trail of gratitude inspiring us to higher things....

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I think that instilling an appreciation for beauty is important for every child, regardless of particular talents for creating art. Every child is capable of appreciating the Creator in the arts which are created by His people. The curriculum should be wide and generous and then it should also nurture particular interests and talents.

I often insist on a picture to go with a verbal or written narration. And I do not think this is at all inappropriate.I don't expect perfection and I offer guidance and examples. I don't think that art should be shoved down a child's throat. But I don't think math should be either. If a child doesn't show an affinity for math, we cut to short lessons and try to make it all as appealing as possible, with the knowledge that math is (infinitely ?) helpful in life and literacy in math is much preferred over ignorance. Art (in all its forms) can be approached the same way. So can nature study for the matter--it's not necessary to know the names of all the plants surrounding one, but it does make life more pleasant and interesting and it does nurture an appreciation for the hand of God in nature. And so can sports. Playing on a soccer team is not essential to any childhood. A knowledge of physical fitness and training in healthy habits is a very desirable thing, though and soccer might be an appropriate means to that end.

Truly, the only thing essential for a child is to know, love and serve God. That makes math and writing and even reading less than essential.There were illiterate saints. But He is revealed to us more fully if we can read His word. Watercolor painting and listening to classical music is not essential, but I think a child's world is richer for it. And we can know Him more deeply in the arts. It's all good and it's all intended for us. We should embrace it all.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Jane Ramsey
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2007 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote Jane Ramsey

[QUOTE=Rebecca]

Only last year did I purchase a hands on art program to teach some drawing and experiment with other media like pastels and watercolor crayons. It is called Artistic Pursuits. The books start at kindergarten level, which I bought and used with my 10, 7, and 3 yo. children. I did each lesson with them myself and learned a ton that I had never been taught. There are sample pages on the website if you are interested in seeing them.

I'll second Rebecca's suggestion. We are using Artistic Pursuits also, and I have a reluctant artist here too. We all do the lesson together and it is very low-key. If the assignment is to draw something in nature and he wants to draw a gun, I go with the flow. But it helps that we are all doing it together--meaning the 5 year old, 3 year old, and me. We are all learning together. We have done five lessons so far and most of his drawings have been stick men and "stick trees" and grass, but at least he is trying. And maybe Mama is making a little progress, too. I have a public school background, too, and regret the fact that I was never exposed to art appreciation. So this curriculum will hopefully fill in some gaps. I'm enjoying it, anyway!
Back to Top View Jane Ramsey's Profile Search for other posts by Jane Ramsey

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version