Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: blogging question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
gracie4309
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 12 2007 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote gracie4309

I'm just starting my blog, so don't know how to do much of anything yet! Just wondering how you link to Amazon's site with pictures of the books you want listed.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Back to Top View gracie4309's Profile Search for other posts by gracie4309 Visit gracie4309's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2007 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Grace,
For starters... some blog sites don't allow you to do that. If you use a free WordPress blog, like I do, I don't think you're allowed to do it.

But it seems that the typepad blogs all have it.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2007 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

If the blog site allows you to fiddle with your template, you can do just about anything -- put it in your posts, your sidebar, a sticky post up top, bar at the bottom, etc. When you've picked a blog-host (free or not free), let us know and we can help you with specifics here on how to add those.

Like Maryan says, though, not with wordpress.com. If you want to use wordpress you'll have to buy your own domain, get hosting, and install wordpress -- then you can use ads. OR another option is to go with a hosting service that already has Wordpress pre-installed for you. For more than a year, I had LivingDot.com as my host and was very happy with them. They took care of issues really quickly. Cost me roughly $9.95-14.95 a month.

Whoops, wait: official word from Matt Mullenweg (wordpress)

Quote:
Depending on how this goes, it could enable you guys to put your own ads on the site, or some sort of share. We don’t know yet. The main thing is that if ads aren’t going to be worth it on the site, we’d rather not have them at all for free users. (Yours or ours.)

So right now, no ads on wordpress.com -- but who knows, it may change soon...

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 5:33am | IP Logged Quote mariB

I'm looking into this also. We have a Mac computer and yesterday my son was able to show me how to search for a book on google, click images at the top of the page, and then use the thumbnail. It won't link you to any sites, though. It worked.

I'm just learning, though.

I'm on blogspot but would love to move over to typepad.

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

gracie4309
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote gracie4309

mariB wrote:
I'm looking into this also. We have a Mac computer and yesterday my son was able to show me how to search for a book on google, click images at the top of the page, and then use the thumbnail. It won't link you to any sites, though. It worked.

I'm just learning, though.

I'm on blogspot but would love to move over to typepad.

We also have a Mac; I don't know it makes a difference. My sentiments exactly about blogspot (what I am using) and typepad. The typepad and wordpress blogs seem to offer a lot more, but right now we can only do the free sites. I'll keep working at it, though!

Back to Top View gracie4309's Profile Search for other posts by gracie4309 Visit gracie4309's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Grace, do you want to link to Amazon or you just want a pic?

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

gracie4309
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote gracie4309

I guess I want to link to Amazon, but I like the link with the book picture that I see on a lot of blogs.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 6:30am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Grace
You can join librarything.com and that enables you to have pictures on your blog. You just need to paste the html code into your blog. I'm with blogger, I haven't yet found a way to have separate 'baskets' like the typepad accounts do. Do you know a way Stef?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Gals, there is a way, just a bit of tinkering though. No time right now to write long, but will be back this afternoon/evening. For blogger what you'll want to do is go into "Edit layout" -- you can use "page element" for html / 3rd party functionality, or you can just edit the template html. It is a bit involved, but doable.

mom to five

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

You can also do sponsored links via Amazon -- maybe that's what you're seeing a lot of? It's very easy to do, though it requires that you join the Amazon Associates program (which is free). Once you've joined, they have very simple options for pasting HTML codes into your text or sidebar. It's literally just a matter of copy-and-paste. The thing is that if somebody clicks your link and buys that book, you are paid a small percentage for routing that person to Amazon.

So in at least some instances, when you see those images, that's what's going on with them.

Pax,

Sally
Back to Top View SallyT's Profile Search for other posts by SallyT Visit SallyT's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

There you go, Grace. Sally's got it.

To do this on Blogger, you'll have to set up a box on the sidebar, set up your title, and then drop in (copy-paste) the codes from Amazon. Do you have an associates ID yet? That's the first step. Putting just the images themselves instead of the whole ad with price and everything is what takes a bit more work -- typepad and a used-to-work-great-until-they-upgraded-it wordpress plugin does it automatically for you.

After you've got the associates ID, you need to do two things:

1. Go to associates.amazon.com and "build a link" to the book you want. It will give you options for large/small image, text only, etc. When you've made your choice, select your code, then:

2. go to "Edit template" on blogger, and pick "Add Page Element", then pick HTML/Javascript. When the window opens, put in a title (Geography Books we Love, etc.) drop in your code there and press save. You'll have to find the individual codes for each book, and that's what takes the most time.

You can view a sample here at my old "dream kitchen" blog.

mom to five

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Yep, those are great instructions! I've just done this myself, and I am no technical wizard, to put it mildly. It's beyond simple to put images and text-only links on your site, either in your sidebar or in the body of a post. I don't even have a digital camera, so my blog was totally imageless . . . so to my naive eye, suddenly having these book jackets appear is way impressive! And I'm hoping that between the sponsored links and the books we're selling on Amazon, I can rack up a little Amazon credit to offset our ever-burgeoning book budget . . . a girl can dream, anyway.

Pax,

Sally

who doesn't know how to make live links here, or create a signature WITH live links, so I have to type out my blog urls:

Fine Old Famly http://fineoldfamly.blogspot.com
Saint Daniel the Stylite Academy (our homeschooling blog) http://saintdanielstylite.blogspot.com
Abandon Hopefully (my new high-school English blog) http://abandonhopefully.blogspot.com
Back to Top View SallyT's Profile Search for other posts by SallyT Visit SallyT's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 21 2007 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Stef
Thanks for that, have yet to try it but I will.
Another question, I am wanting to close down my website and transfer the information into my blog, now I was thinking of weekly writing a book review and labeling them as such. A friend who is with wordpress suggested that I may be able to have a second page to my blog and keep reviews together that way. Can I do this with blogger and if so, how?

Grace
To enter your signature, go to the top og the page to 'settings' then click on 'edit profile' then in your 'signature' section you add your links, prefacing them with [URLequals] and ending with [/URL]

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 21 2007 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Stef
I have just signed up with Amazon and I was pretty proud of myself, I found the html codes, the trouble I am having is as I don't want an image I have to add a second code to the page, this is where I have trouble

"on your site, paste the following link enhancer script at the end of pages on which you have image only or text only product links. The code should go after your content and before your closing <body> tag."

So where is the content part end and what exactly is the closing body tag?

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Still having trouble here Does anyone know?

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Hm, so you want a text-only link? That's an option: if you do a product link (search for the book or whatever, click "get code," and it will give you the image widget thingy), when you get the image link for it, you will see a bunch of "customize"-type buttons to the left of the image. One of those is a button for "text-only." Click that, and the link will reconfigure, so that the code you copy and paste into either the body of your post, or into the sidebar of your blog if you want, is just for a text link. You don't have to do anything extra.

I hope that makes sense and answers your question.

Sally

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version