Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Favorite veggie side dishes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Basic meat and three veg are popular here. Is meat and three veg only an Australian thing? Can't see it above.
In case it is so I best explain three veg. A visual of three colours, white, orange/yellow and green. Often consists of mashed potato, pumpkin and peas. We always have mashed potato (total favourite) and alternate with also sweet potato/carrots and broccoli/zucchini. Or may add in another white with cauliflower.

Ah just did a google search, three veg is Australian food culture.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

A-Lil
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote A-Lil

Strangely enough, my children like frozen peas (not cooked), just poured into a bowl. They also do the same with frozen blueberries. I guess they think it tastes better cold?!
Back to Top View A-Lil's Profile Search for other posts by A-Lil

Rebeccca
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Rebeccca

Mmmmm, autumn veggies . . .

Our favorites are soups and stews for autumn. That doesn't necessarily translate to autumn veggies but canned and frozen from summer. My mom and I can tomaotes like mad and most of my winter soups have at least a quart in there. Minestrone, ck step, pasta e fagioli, et c. We also LOVE potato soup and put broccoli. Again, not specifically autumn veggies but veggies we like in autumn.

We also love roasted veggies (and tubers) in autumn. Sometimes they're autumn veggies (hard squashes) and sometimes they're not (baked potatoes). I cut spaghetti squash in half, bake, scrape into its yummy strands, toss with butter and s/p. SO yummy! We also like other kinds of squash but spaghetti is the family favorite.

Another veggie side dish we just love is sauteed greens. Again this is a spring/summer veggie but we have them frozen and have them sauteed with onions and garlic instead of raw/in a salad or lightly done in spring.

We like to roast a pan of root veggies, too. I like to just chop them large, toss with s/p and olive oil, and bake till perfect. I like different veggies at different browness, though. I like potatoes very brown but asparagus barely brown so I never cook those together. Oh, my family likes veggie pkts with a wedge of cabbage, onion, some root veggie, pat of butter or drizzle of oil, s/p wrapped in parchment paper and baked till done. My ppl really love that.

We can the greenbeans b/c I really just don't like them frozen. While I love them with new potatoes cooked long and slow in the pot in spring, in autumn and winter I saute onions/garlic and add the greenbeans, a couple of quarts of tomatoes, rice and whatever herb sounds good or is on hand. boil/simmer till tender. Sometimes I keep it soupy and sometimes I cook it to a thick side dish consistency.

Hmmm, let me see . . . we also do a lot of fruit sides instead of veggie sides. We really like baked apples but all I do is slice into wedges, sprinkle with cinnamon and bake. When they're done I break raw walnuts over them. Sometimes I serve with yogurt. sometimes not. We also eat those frozen fruits.

Back to Top View Rebeccca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebeccca

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

"Grampy-style potatoes" ~ simply peeled potatoes, sliced like chunky French fries, then boiled with a bit of butter and salt. Somehow slicing makes the potatoes more tender than wedges and boiling makes them more moist than mashed. Serving it with freshly ground pepper is best. A family favorite for generations ~ named by our family after my great-great grandfather!

Veggies vary, especially when our garden is producing, otherwise steamed broccoli is a personal favorite ~ can't seem to get enough of it, but dh and dc balk if we have it more than once or twice a week!

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

One of our faves is red cabbage.

Finely chop 2lb red cabbage, 1lb cooking apples and 1lb onions and couple cloves crushed garlic. Add salt, pepper, and spices (I use allspice) and 3T brown sugar - stir it all together and add in a casserole dish. Pour over 3T cider vinegar and dot with maybe an ounce butter. COver and cook at 300 deg F (150 deg c) for a couple of hours, stirring a couple of times. You can serve at once, or store in the fridge and reheat in oven or a pan, or freeze it: it serves us for 3 or 4 meals. It is pretty tasty and convenient.

Originally it was a delia smith recipe so you could google for quantities of spice if you wanted - she also says to layer everything but to stir in cooking so I just stir it all up before cooking.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version