Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Are you a "California Girl?" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 26 2005 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

I noticed a few months back in the INTRO section that there were quite a few California residents on this board.

I.......and some of my other CA cohorts....... are curious who is living in CA these days?

Please speak up and let us know! We may have info to share with you once in awhile........

Also........anyone live NEAR CA? In OR? Or NV? Or AZ? (I KNOW we have Victoria and Angie )

And, just for fun.........did you USED to be a California girl? Mary Chris?   

I grew up in Southern CA.........spent ten years in No. NV......and have lived the last 15 yrs in No. CA.......

How about you?

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 27 2005 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Former Californian...always a California girl! Born and raised in Pasadena, CA...now trekking around the Mid-Atlantic states, thanks to the Navy!

Can someone please send some REAL Mexican food my way?

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2005 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

When asked where I'm from, I say "I'm from California, but I live in Ohio."

California girl through and through. Grew up in Calabasas (inland from Malibu), went to UCLA, have lived in Pasadena, San Diego, Orange County, Westwood, and Rosemead.

Wish I could move back! Lower those housing prices, will ya?

And Nancy, I'm with you about Mexican food. We did just get our first Trader Joe's locally though and that is helping.

Julie

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2005 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote momwise

juliecinci wrote:
We did just get our first Trader Joe's locally

I've seen this enough times on this board to wonder....what kind of store is Trader Joe's?

Speaking of CA, Chari: How was the CA CCM Camping trip?
Who was there?

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2005 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

guitarnan wrote:

Can someone please send some REAL Mexican food my way?

I sure would love a Carne Asada Burrito and three rolled tacos with gaucomole!

My dad was in the Navy so we spent time in.......
LA....my mom is a LA native so we lived in Westchester while my dad was in Vietnam
San Pedro/Long Beach
Alameda......I was really little then
San Diego....I was born there and we moved in and out of SD every few years....2nd-4th grade, then again 8th-college. I met my dh there, funny he is from Buffalo NY

I love California, the flowers, the ocean, the great food.........but I sure was happy to come home to my "conservative state" of Virginia.
I cannot believe that I am actually calling Virginia home, it has taken 11 years !

But I hope I will always be a California girl!

Glenn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 27 2005 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Glenn

I am from San Francisco, born and raised there.   I thought I would never get used to Virginia, but the season of Fall got me, and Spring, and then Winter. Summer still makes me long for cool San Francisco breezes, but I am feeling more at home here in Virginia after 5 years.

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2005 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

at the talk of all the Mexican food!!!

I am actually a 3rd generation San Diegan with not much chance of moving away as Dh is from Southern California as well. Thankfully, we bought our house right before prices really skyrocketed!

Dh is Mexican (very Americanized!) and my dad's mom's family is Mexican (he's about 1/2), so there has been lots of mexican food eaten here. Homemade tamales at Christmas were standard until my grandmother passed away.

So if anyone is near San Diego, I know where you can get some great Mexican food....at my house!!

I should say that if I were rich, I would vacation in the Northeast each Fall. I love the Fall!!! There just aren't dramatic season changes here.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2005 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Erica Sanchez wrote:
I should say that if I were rich, I would vacation in the Northeast each Fall. I love the Fall!!! There just aren't dramatic season changes here.

I was in awe on my first trip to New England. But come on you have the Pacific! I can just picture Sunset Cliffs, La Jolla Shores and Coronado with the Dell and looking out toward Pt. Loma. All the while of course eating Mexican food!
We have Baja Fresh here but I think they changed after they were bought by Wendy's . My dh has been known to come home with a cooler full of carne asada burritos. Once when he was still on a submarine he stocked the freezer with carne asada burritos and ate them every meal.    

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: July 27 2005 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I am definitely not a California girl . . . but I did live there for one year. When I was in kindergarten, my dad got his Master's degree at Berkeley. And my husband spent his first 8 years in the LA area. Can I be an honorary member of the group, Chari?

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2005 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Ha ha, Mary Chris!!! That is just too funny. No doubt your husband's shipmates just wrote it off to that "typical Californian" stereotyped image.

Now, if only I knew how to get a cooler full of burritos and tamales from SD all the way to Almost Heaven...

Guess I'll just have to visit Erica next time I'm home. My kids adore San Diego anyway...(Sea World and Navy ships, their perfect combo!)

I also miss good Asian food; up here, the local restaurants all serve fried chicken and dumplings and stuff like that. I have to drive an hour (through the deer gauntlet!) for any ethnic food at all.

I don't miss the traffic (grew up near LA, and have lived in the DC and Norfolk areas for most of dh's Navy career); I know that's going to be one of my pet peeves when we go back to the Big City. (The other is flat terrain...mountains are another thing I took for granted growing up in CA!)

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2005 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

Trader Joe's

These are specialty grocery stores that began in Pasadena California many moons ago. My dh and I used to shop at the original one when we were first married. In the old days, TJ's was a store that offered discounts on discontinued food items or over stocks that came from around the world. They also do a vigorous liquor/wine business.

Over time, they began to develop their own brands for the staples (olive oil, mayonnaise, pasta, peanut butter, trail mix, marinara sauce, salsa and so on). They make wonderful products that have both an international and health conscious flare (without being pricey or snobby).

TJ's is the perfect blend of good for you and good tasting... and the stores are smallish, while very appealing for shopping. It's a bit like going to Europe.

Our first five years here without them was tough. Not a fan of the sauerkraut and Cincinnati chili.

Julie

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2006 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote Chari

marychris wrote:
My dad was in the Navy so we spent time in.......
LA....my mom is a LA native so we lived in Westchester while my dad was in Vietnam
San Pedro/Long Beach
Alameda......
But I hope I will always be a California girl!

I suppose you must ALWAYS be a CA girl........as long as you retain that CA attitude    .....can anyone define that??

I have been menaing to reply to this since, oh........JULY!   

anyway.........Mary Chris.......I also lived in Westchester....during the Vietnam War.......and I am a LA Native, too.

I wondered what years you lived there. Did you go to elementary school there? I went to Osage Elem.

My grandparents lived there till they died........and my Aunt still lives there.

Just wondering.....what year were you born in? I was born in '64....in Harbor City.

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2006 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Chari

teachingmom wrote:
I am definitely not a California girl . . . but I did live there for one year. When I was in kindergarten, my dad got his Master's degree at Berkeley. And my husband spent his first 8 years in the LA area. Can I be an honorary member of the group, Chari?

Irene..........it is a LATE welcome.......but, consider yourself "honoraried"    ...........but, do you have the CA "attitude"

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2006 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote Chari

So, back to my original question:

"I noticed a few months back in the INTRO section that there were quite a few California residents on this board.

I.......and some of my other CA cohorts....... are curious who is living in CA these days?

Please speak up and let us know! We may have info to share with you once in awhile........

Also........anyone live NEAR CA? In OR? Or NV? Or AZ? (I KNOW we have Victoria and Angie)"

I KNOW there are LOTS more than who identified themselves here!

We are planning our Fifth annual Catholic Charlotte Mason campout in CA..........and we would like to find some new folks! And, if you live in CA.......there may be 4RLers just around your corner.....we would love to see how close we all are!

Please, speak up!

God bless your day! You weekend! Your week! Your month! Your year! And, your life!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2006 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I was born and raised in SF (Catholic schools all the way)-- still have tons of relatives who strongly believe that anything outside the hallowed borders of Northern California is ok to visit but NEVER move to!

We moved back east in '83 and I've gone out occasionally since -- Mom is in Napa, one brother in Reading, one sister and one brother still in SF; but the rest of us (3 brothers and me) flew the proverbial coop....

Times I miss it -- but SF is so yuppified, dinked and alternatived that I don't really recognize it anymore. It actually used to be a VERY Catholic town!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 04 2006 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Chari wrote:
Irene..........it is a LATE welcome.......but, consider yourself "honoraried"    ...........but, do you have the CA "attitude"

Well, Chari, I must confess (and as Mary Chris can attest) I really don't have the CA attitude at all. In fact, Dh, who grew up in CA and AZ, would assert that I unfortunately have the more uptight Washington, DC suburban attitude instead.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version