Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Homemade metal inset stands Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Eleanor
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 1:43am | IP Logged Quote Eleanor

Our metal insets didn't come with display stands, so I've just made my own, using a piece of tan-colored 20" x 30" foam core board, an X-Acto knife, and some white glue. This was super easy, works very well, and looks reasonably decent. (I think it would actually look quite elegant, if I'd taken my time, measured carefully, and used a proper straight-edge and cutting surface, rather than just going at it hammer and tongs. )

Here's what I did:

- Cut the foam core board lengthwise into thirds. Each piece will be 6 2/3" x 30".

- Cut a 1/2" strip, lengthwise, off one of the pieces.   Glue this strip along the bottom of the piece to form a double thickness, which will act as a ledge. (If you're using colored foam core board, make sure that both pieces have the colored side facing up. You could also use plain white foam core board, and paint or cover it. That might even be a better idea, as the board itself tends to get marked easily.) Hold or clamp the strip in place until the glue starts to set.

- Repeat the above step with the second piece. Leave the pieces to dry.

- Take the third piece and cut it in half crosswise. Score and fold each of these pieces, to form triangular doohickeys that will hold the stands at the right angle. Glue the doohickeys to the backs of the stands. (I'm not going to give precise details for this part, as my doohickeys aren't particularly elegant or efficient, and it was a bit of a pain to glue them... they kept popping off.   But at least they work!)

Each stand will hold five of the 5.5" square insets, with about 1/2" of space above and between them. From what I've seen in photos, it looks like the "official" stands have a more precise fit. If you'd prefer this, it would be easy to trim them.

Hope that helps someone! Our little inset friends really want to be displayed on a stand. They don't like being in a box, or flat on a shelf.
Back to Top View Eleanor's Profile Search for other posts by Eleanor

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

oooh!!! Eleanor, could I see a picture? My insets are sad and lonely and want a stand too!

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Man I wish I had read this before I got the stands! That sounds perfect!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Eleanor
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 05 2007 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Eleanor

I'd love to take a picture, but we've misplaced the charger for our camera. Now that the children's shelves are coming along nicely, I guess it's time for me to pay some attention to the adults' "prepared environment!"

The stands are holding up very well, but there's one thing that needs a little work. It turns out that they're too steeply angled (about 60 degrees, I think), so the quatrefoil inset keeps falling out of its frame. From the pictures I've seen, it looks as if the wooden stands are fairly close to horizontal. I liked having ours more upright, because we're stuck with putting them are on top of a 36" bookcase, so it's a bit of a stretch for my 40" tall daughter to see the insets... but I guess I'll have to compromise.   Falling inserts aren't much fun, especially when they land on bare toes.   

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 05 2007 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Ok I read your instructions again- and I think I understand them. I am going to give this a try, thanks for the idea! I'll see if I can make mine not so steep, although my metal insets are actually plastic so probably not so painful on the toes.

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 05 2007 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I looked at mine and they are only about 15 degrees off horizontal.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Eleanor
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote Eleanor

Thanks, Theresa -- that helps a lot.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version