Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Be Warned: Pullman's The Golden Compass Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 16 2007 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

With the author’s permission, I am sharing this from a writer’s group I’m on:

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm so spitting mad tonight, I cannot even tell you.

Apparently the elite literati have named Philip Pullman's Golden
Compass
, in which children go on a crusade to kill God, the best
children's book in 70 years!

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/books/story/2007/06/21/golden-compass .html?ref=rss

Forget Harry Potter, folks. This is the one. Why? Because he, unlike
J.K. Rowling (an Anglican, who actually practices and cares about church
and who really only wants to tell a good story), is a devout atheist
whose agenda is to crush the faith of children. And he makes no secret
about it. For a good and though-provoking review on his latest work, you
might read what Catholic blogger Amy Welborn has to say on his work:http://www.amywelborn.com/reviews/pullman.html

I'm hopping mad, folks. This is why my son shall not attend public
schools. They are the ones touting his work and praising it. They and
the American Library Association.

Grrrr. Watch out, I'm on fire tonight. >=(
--Ann

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2007 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I meant to include another link and direct you all to last year's discussion on this forum about Pullman and his Agenda.

Make special note of MacBeth's input.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2007 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Wow, this is unreal, thanks for bringing this to our attention Cay. Sheesh!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2007 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Funny you bring this up, I was at the theatre over the weekend and sat amazed listening to a Catholic HS girl explain to me, why her father thought it important to read this man's works     
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2007 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

chicken lady wrote:
her father thought it important to read this man's works     

What was his reasoning?

mom to 5

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

So one could "know" what to argue against. He also thought it wise to read the da Vinci Code     
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2007 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Do y'all know this book is now a film, starring Nicole Kidman? Dh and I saw a trailer for it at the movie theater last week.

Dawn

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: July 17 2007 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Yep. We've seen the trailer at the theater too. I guessed that it might be problematic, and now that I know what it's based on, I'm not surprised!   

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2007 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Well, I've read the trilogy, mostly because I am such a fantasy sci-fi literature geek and got a hold of them years ago before I really knew anything about them or the author. I enjoyed them immensely and found the worlds he created very captivating. The main character, Lyra, is just wonderfully written. He is a very good writer.

And yet, HUGE problem: The Church and God are enemies of the good. And of course the writer's own personal agenda.

So, will my children read them? Only if they want to when they are much older (16-18). And they will not see the movie. I read these books as an adult, fully grounded and informed in my faith and this is how my children will read them.

What is very interesting to me is how we need to be so very careful about how things affect our children's sensibilities. I learned from my dh this weekend. He is a huge kung fu movie fan. Loved Kill Bill. Loved! We watched Apocalypto. He cringed and complained about the violence and gore. I found this remarkable given his love of other films with violent plots (the aforementioned Kill Bill and don't get me started on his love of the Godfather movies). It seems that this bothered him because it was "real". Apparently made-up characters chopping heads off with samurai swords is one thing, but fictional Mayan priests reenacting actual human sacrifice was more than he could stand.

All this to say, what a shame that Pullman has set himself in such an evil course. He could have done much to bring True beauty into this world with the talent gifted to him by the very God he wants to destroy.

Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 18 2007 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote julia s.

It is kind of funny because I started reading those books when he first put them out, but there was such a long really long lag between books I just didn't care about them any more when he got back to them. They were well written (although they weren't great imo), but I don't really think they would turn anyone from God. I'm sorry that he's so angry and hurt. I know religions can be messy. People are messy. God is good. He's gotten turned around by his emotions and lost track of truth.

Sometimes it makes you think they voted for him because they were more making a statement against the Potter books. They chose a sci-fi/fantasy writer that they deemed more "literary" to contrast their snobbery of the Potter books and to show the populous they don't know good writing....Does that make sense?

In the end no one really gives a hoot about these lists.
People remember the books they love. The Golden compass was good, but not loveable.

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2007 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I also read these books and LOVED them. (well, the last one was not as good). But I agree totally with Maria that I read them as an "adult, fully grounded and informed in my faith." So to me it was just a great yarn, well written and incredibly engaging. My 17yo daughter has also read them and loved them, but again, her faith is rock-solid.

Now that I know Pullman's agenda ( I didn't until I was informed here on this board), I will not let my son read them until he is MUCH older. He has a strong faith, but he is HIGHLY impressionable and tends to really get absorbed in fantasy. Harry Potter yes, Golden Compass NO.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2007 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

How many times have I picked this book up and looked at it, how many times? But every time I put it away again because of a sense of forboding. Thank you for the headzup. There are many books I have enjoyed that are in no way appropriate to impressionable younger kids, and this sounds like one of them.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2007 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Dawnie wrote:
Do y'all know this book is now a film, starring Nicole Kidman?

I thought Nicole Kidman was a Catholic, of sorts. I know she went through the trouble to seek an anullment from Tom Cruise b4 marrying Keith Urban, so I thought she somewhat had found her conscience.

Thanks for telling me about these books. I;ve seen them recommended and always was under the impression that they were good books. Maybe "good" with qualifications.

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I have read them too... again as an adult . I enjoyed the story, but was very disturbed by the 'anti-church' slant.
I always felt like the story could have been better if he hadn't done that!

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version