Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: July Composer: St. Hildegard von B Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 02 2007 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

St. Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179) was a German abbess, visionary mystic and composer. She was born of noble parents in Bockelheim, Germany, and was educated at the Benedictine cloister of Disibodenberg by her aunt Jutta, an anchorite and sister of the count of Spanheim, whom Hildegard succeeded as prioress in 1136.

She started having visions while still a child and at 43 43 she consulted her confessor, who reported the matter to the archbishop of Mainz. A committee of theologians subsequently confirmed the authenticity of Hildegard's visions, and a monk was appointed to help her record them in writing.

The finished work, her best known, is Scivias (1141–52). It relates 26 of her visions that are prophetic and apocalyptic in form and in their treatment of such topics as the church, the relationship between God and man, and redemption.

About 1147 Hildegard left Disibodenberg with several nuns to found a new convent at Rupertsberg, where she continued to exercise the gift of prophecy and to record her visions in writing.

A talented poet and composer, Hildegard collected 77 of her lyric poems, each with a musical setting composed by her, in Symphonia armonie celestium revelationum. Her numerous other writings include lives of saints; two treatises on medicine and natural history, reflecting a quality of scientific observation rare at that period; and extensive correspondence, in which are to be found further prophecies and allegorical treatises.

Although never formally canonized, Hildegard is included as a saint in the Roman Martyrology.

(from Encyclopedia Britannica, with a few additions from Catholic.org, and the Catholic Encyclopedia and Cooking with the Saints)

More from Catholic Encyclopedia

Have to go pick up dh from surgery. I'll add the music links when I get back.

Feel free to jump in if you've got any favorites you'd like to share, etc.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2007 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Thanks Stef!
I just listened to a few samples at Amazon. The music sounds so ancient. I'll check my library to see what they have.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 02 2007 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

+JMJ+

The Origin of Fire: Music and Visions of Hildegard von Bingen one of my all time favorite CD's and Anonymous 4 is my very favorite vocal group!

Here is a link to the CD.

I own other CD's by Anonymous 4 and the Masses and Marian music is all very beautiful! I felt so lucky that for my birthday my husband got me tix's to see them live. Definitely worth it if you ever have a chance!!!!!

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 02 2007 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

We are listening to this right now:

Canticles of Ecstasy

Listen to it here for free (up to 25 plays).

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 03 2007 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

from Ambleside Online:

Quote:
1. Abbess Hildegard of Bingen was one of the most important musicians of the age, writing over 70 songs and many musical spiritual plays. She was head of an abbey, an accomplished healer, pursued a lifelong interest in science and physiology, and wrote many theological works -- clearly an unusually accomplished woman for her era or any other. Any worthy study of Medieval music simply must include her. A nice biographical sketch is here. The CD recommended features the remarkable soprano Emma Kirkby, who specializes in authentic performance of historical music. Her interpretation of Hildegard's hymns and plainchant is ethereal and transporting. (We will be recommending her recordings again for Renaissance and possibly the Baroque era as well.) She is joined on this CD by Gothic Voices, who are also brilliant performers of sacred medieval music. Be aware that there are scores of recordings of Hildegard of Bingen of late, and while there are a few other good ones out there, her name has unfortunately become a marketing tool for New Age musicians whose recordings are very loosely based on her work and not historical. The Kirkby CD, however, is completely authentic and very beautiful, and thought by many to be the best Hildegard recording available.

Alas! I have not been able to find the Kirkby CD... It sounds delightful! From the liner:

Quote:
"Listen: there was once a king sitting on his throne. Around him stood great and wonderfully beautiful columns ornamented with ivory, bearing the banners of the king with great honor. Then it pleased the king to raise a small feather from the ground, and he commanded it to fly. The feather flew, not because of anything in itself but because the air bore it along. Thus am I, a feather on the breath of God."

mom to five

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 05 2007 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Another freebie listen:

O frondens virga -- just click on the blue triangle

One translation I found:

O frondens virga
Antiphon to the Virgin Mary

O flowering shoot,
you stand in your nobility
like the rising sun!
Rejoice now and be glad,
and graciously release us weaklings
from our evil ways,
stretching forth your hand
to raise us up.

mom to five

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 10 2007 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I just updated my sidebar to play one of the songs from Feather on the Breath of God -- it will play automatically when you go to my blog.

You can find the lyrics and a translation here.

Enjoy!

mom to five

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 18 2007 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Click here to listen to Ave Generosa, sung by Soprano Rosa Lamoreaux, from the album Luminous Spirit: Chants of Hildegard von Bingen.

my post, with links to Gregorian chant notation, lyrics and translation.

An excerpt:

Hail, girl of a noble house,
shimmering and unpolluted,
you pupil in the eye of chastity,
you essence of sanctity,
which was pleasing to God.

For the Heavenly potion
was poured into you,
in that the Heavenly word
received a raiment of flesh in you.

You are the lily that dazzles,
whom God knew
before all others.

mom to five

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2007 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

This week's selection is

O Ignis Spiritus.

mom to five

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 16 2007 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Hey, it's late for the study, but I just saw this on Amazon. It's a brand spanking new picture book on St. Hildegard - The Secret World of Hildegard. Our library generally gets the Winter books so I'll try to check it out. Wonder the slant it will have. Here is the description:
Hildegard von Bingen composed hymns and symphonies, painted glorious pictures, compiled books on medicine, and wrote religious revelations of such ethereal beauty that they inspired the respect of Popes and kings--all in the Dark Ages when most people were illiterate and women were disdained.

Now Jonah Winter teams up once again with his mother, the award-winning illustrator Jeanette Winter, to bring you Hildegard's remarkable story. The result is a lyrical biography that captures Hildegard's faith and beauty--and celebrates the courage it took for a singular woman to let her light shine.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

OK, I know this isn't a purist approach, but I have a Hildegard von Bingen cd called "Vision" which I actually like a lot. It's definitely "switched-on" Hildegard, Enya-y in sound, but kinda fun. Sooooo, if you have older children you're trying to convert to old composers, this might be the ticket. My older dc really like this cd. It is definitely on the "groovy" side, though!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 02 2010 at 5:11am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Hildegard of Bingen: Exemplary Ministry of Authority from the Vatican Info Service

mom to five

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version