Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Hidden Treasure
 4Real Forums : Hidden Treasure
Subject Topic: Marian shrines this summer? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 24 2007 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Helen

Just wondering if anyone has plans to make a pilgrimage or a special visit to a shrine this summer? Maybe we could keep a running list? pictures too? This could be our virtual shrine locator!

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2007 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

We visited two in May -- one in KY and one in Dayton, OH. We plan on visiting more. I'll post pics later...

Oh, and we found them through this site.

Editing, here's one pic:

Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto
Mount St. John
4435 East Patterson Road
Dayton, OH 45430
(937) 426-2363

The other one is St. Mary's Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption in Covington, KY. Beautiful place, surrounded by a garden. We didn't get to see much of the inside though, as when we came there was a graduation Mass going on.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2007 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

We are heading to this one today Our Lady of Lebanon
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2007 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Lovely idea, Helen.

On Wed., July 27th (the Anniversary date of Hurricane Audrey of 1957), after VBS in the morning, the children and I will bring a picnic lunch to Cameron Parish and visit Our Lady Star of the Sea and recite the Hurricane Prayer.

Here's a small
photo of her. Hopefully, I'll get a better picture this Wednesday.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I forgot that I had blogged this shrine a couple months ago: Our Lady of Lourdes. It's where I take my annual retreat.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2007 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I am bumping this up in case anyone has visited anymore???    I am looking into various shrines that I can drive to in a day.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Is anyone visiting a special shrine for tomorrows feast? I really want to do a day trip (not going to happen) or some special activity.

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

We have decided to head back up here. Bill is doing a special blessing over our herb beds, I am loading us all up on Tylenol and we are going to the Shrine. Be assured I am taking all the intentions of this board with me and lighting a candle at Our Ladys feet.

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote doris

We planned to go to Our Lady of Willesden for the feast of the Assumption. It's a very ancient shrine, visited by St Thomas More, surpressed during the Reformation (can we call it the 'so-called Reformation'??) and rededicated in the 19th century. Apparently St Josemaria Escriva used to go on pilgrimage there in the 1950s.

Anyway, we were all excited to go, but turned up to find that they'd decided to make the 7.30 Mass, a Brazilian Mass. So we had to head back to our own church after all.

We'll try again on 8th September, or maybe before if I'm feeling impatient! It looked lovely.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 12:12am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

I am hoping to go to the Mission at Carmel-by-the-Sea. It is about two hours south of San Francisco. Blessed Junipero Serra is buried there.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 01 2007 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

This is a day late - you are all now one day out of summer! (But it IS our first day of Spring - YIPPEE!)

I am posting a three part series on our visit to the Marian Shrine in our state, called Marian Valley, it is situated not far inland from the Gold Coast. We visited the shrine to thank St Joseph for prayers answered but there are many marian shrines in the Valley and I will show you a few over the 3 part series.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2007 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Here is part 2 of our visit to Marian Valley this posting features many of the marian shrines in the valley.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2007 at 4:56am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Here is my last posting on our visit to Marian Valley.

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 20 2007 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

I did just read in the Arlington Catholic Herald that there is a plenary indulgence that has been approved for the 150th anniversary of the Blessed Mother's appearance at Lourdes. In liue of visiting Lourdes itself, one can visit a Lourdes shrine in the U.S. from Feb. 2-11th.

I was wondering if any of you all know where there is a shrine dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes in the Arlington area? I was thinking that Emmitsburg had a shrine, but perhaps I am remembering incorrectly. I haven't been there in some time. If anyone could refresh my memory, that would be great!

Also, we started a tradition last New Year's day that we hope to continue. We traveled to the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in D.C. to dedicate our new year to the Blessed Mother. Hopefully we will be able to do that again this year. It is especially lovely this time of year because it is decorated for Christmas. Just a thought....

God bless

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 20 2007 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Kim,
there is an Our Lady of Lourdes Chapel at the Basilica. We'll be there Christmas Eve .

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 20 2007 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

We'll be there New Year's Day! We go every year for dh's birthday.

And you're correct, Emmitsburg does have a Lourdes Grotto.

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2007 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

There is also a Lourdes Grotto at the Franciscan Monastery in DC. It's in Brookland close to the Basilica. As Lourdes replicas go it would rank third, in my mind, after the Basilica and Emmitsburg, but the Franciscans have a lot of other neat things, too, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 21 2007 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

SusanJ wrote:
There is also a Lourdes Grotto at the Franciscan Monastery in DC. It's in Brookland close to the Basilica. As Lourdes replicas go it would rank third, in my mind, after the Basilica and Emmitsburg, but the Franciscans have a lot of other neat things, too, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Susan

The Franciscan Monastery ranks first in my mind for a confession destination. They are amazing confessors. And, you really could visit both the Basilica and the Franciscans in the same trip.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2007 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Thanks for the confession tip, Elizabeth. I've lived in DC for five years and we've never been there. Maybe we'll stop there before Christmas this year.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version