Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Metal Insets and Tracing Tray Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 21 2007 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I am considering these...I've got a 2yo (who won't be using them now, but would in the future) a 6yo who could definitely benefit from this activity and a 10yo, who for some reason has AWFUL handwriting, and I was hoping an activity like this might help her without being too "preachy" on the subject of handwriting.

Am I way off? Does anyone have this - I know Theresa does but she's in Alaska - yay for her - but I miss her opinion . Anybody else have an opinion or experience with this. Thanks for the help.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2007 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I do not think you are way off at all Jennifer! I did not purchase these yet, but they are definately on my list...

I do think these can be more easily made (such as the ones CatholicMommy did) than the Geometry Cabinet insets, just m .02 here.

I think they would be a lovely and fun approach to handling any displeasure your dd has had with her handwriting and give her some control and precision while conquering the neatness monster

I'm sure other's will chime in here!
Blessings!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 21 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I plan to get these- they are on the top of my list. Both my kids love to trace things, and the blue and pink shapes with the tray and stand just say: pick me up! try me!

Heck- I don't know about the kids- But *I* want to play with these

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2007 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

hi ladies!
I am here and just checking in briefly.
I did get the insets (from M. Outlet). I was really debating on them, but after reading the presentations on them I decided they would be a good investment.
Of course I have not used them yet, but they are lovely and really drew the attention of the kids.Be warned, however, they take up a lot of shelf space.
I went ahead and got the tracing tray and pre-cut paper (it was only 1.50), thinking this would encourage their use.
Wish I could say more, but I have no experience with them yet.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 21 2007 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Just in case anyone else is looking into this...

Here is a great presentation for the metal insets, and they specifically mention that they are a help for older children with poor handwriting

and

Theresa was right - Montessori Outlet has THE best price, beating KidAdvance and Montessori Concepts. They are having a summer sale ending June 30 - it's a 25% off sale!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 21 2007 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

We have them and have used them --- they are wonderful!!! IMHO, buying is better than making with this particular material because you want a smooth edge for tracing around and this would be very difficult to achieve for the round shapes. A great activity and I think all of your children would benefit from them, Jennifer!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 21 2007 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Thanks Kristin - they are definitely on my list!!! I'm convinced, or rather I should say hopeful, that they will be beneficial to all of the dc!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2007 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

OK, I'm off to buy mine Thanks for the presentation link Jennifer, I missed this one somewhere along the way

I also picked up two sets of small moveable alphabets, 1 red and 1 blue and I'll swap each vowels out to have two sets in one box I'm so glad they were on sale!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 10 2007 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Catching up on a few past threads. I'm considering these.

Do you HAVE to have anything else for these? The metal inset stands? or the tracing tray? What is essential and what is "really nice" to have?

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 10 2007 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I just read the presentation that Teresa linked above and realized something. My almost-5-yr-old-dd does a variation of this ALL THE TIME. She draws all sorts of shapes and then makes lots of lines/deigns and colors them in. She's very precise and exact about it. She also, coincidently, has EXCELLENT handwriting. Her sister-age 6, has never done this sort of thing and has not-so-great handwriting.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2007 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

SuzanneG wrote:
Do you HAVE to have anything else for these? The metal inset stands? or the tracing tray? What is essential and what is "really nice" to have?

I have the set up from Montessori Outlet! I bought the Insets, the Stands, the Paper, the Paper Box, and the Tray. I love them and my 2 ds's 5 & 8 have used them and love them. If you have enough shelf space you could probably do without the Stands, but they are loose and will easily fall apart if taken off a shelf without care. Perhaps you could have the ones for the day set out on a tray for them to carry to their work area. I DO like my stands though as they are a key for display, just my .02 that I don't have anymore, cause I spent it on Montessori materials

Blessings!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 10 2007 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Suzanne,
I ended up ordering my set from KidAdvance after all because of another order I was already placing - I didn't want to have to pay shipping twice. I'm pleased with the quality very much. The insets from KidAdvance come with the sloping stand, and I have to say, I'm glad it does. The insets are quite thin, and the stand is helpful for storing them and retrieving them. You need the metal insets tracing tray and some inset tracing paper. You could certainly cut your own paper if you wanted to. HTH Suzanne!

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 10 2007 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

I think that the only really essential thing for this is the metal insets themselves. (Of course, you will also need paper and pencils!)

It is certainly very nice to have the stands and paper tray (which I have), but you could come up with alternatives for those. I know that Hainstock (Montessori in the Home) speaks of using a cookie sheet with lip for her homemade insets, I imagine you could do the same with the metal ones, or use another tray of some type.

As for the inset tray, I am using a standard large wooden tray from Michael's. I got a small rectangular piece of wood and glued stacks of three popsicle sticks on to make a 3-pencil holder for the tray it actually looks nice and works very well. Everything else that is needed is also placed on the tray and taken to the work table. The presentation I have for the metal insets indicates that the child holds the inset still with the sub-dominant hand, so I've never really understood the need for a special tray that holds the insets. Is it just for transporting the materials to the table or is it actually used for the tracing???

Kristin

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2007 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

The tray I have is for actual tracing, but will be great for carrying the insets to the table as well.
I was reading in Montessori Play and Learn that they use a square tile to carry the insets and frames to the table, using the thumbs to steady it on the tile. I think that would be a great option, picking up an inexpensive smooth ceramic or vinyl tile at a home improvement store.
The only reason I got the tray is that it will help in holding the paper still while tracing, which I've found is a frequent cause of frustration for this age group.
metal insets tracing tray

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2007 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I also have the tray and they still have to hold the inset with the sub-dominant hand as they do not fit snuggly, here's about a centimeter or so around the edges, or they can puch the inset into one of the corners to steady somewhat and hold it there. Love the ceramic tile idea!

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

I actually bought these and me kids love it. I didn't get the actual metal inserts but these They are plastic not metal but only cost $27.50. Mine were pink and blue.

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 11 2007 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

Genevieve, how many of those would fit on a standard cookie sheet? They are smaller than the metal ones and some people may be interested in this option!

Kristin

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2007 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Ok, I have the metal insets and am really confused about which are supposed to inscribe in which. Most of my pieces inscribe in the circle except:

the square (the circle inscribes in the square)
the rectangle
the triangle
the 4 sided figure with 2 sides parallel and 2 sides not.

Now the info I have is that all but the parallelogram should inscribe - but I have more than 1 parallelogram (including the square, rectangle). I would not expect the quadrilateral described above to be inscribed in a circle but then maybe there is something I don't know. The triangle is certainly not a parallelogram so I thought it would inscribe in the circle - it is too big and actually fits in the square, having its base equal to the length of the square's side.

What exactly should fit where. We haven't gotten to this in our class yet and I need to say something if this isn't right, but I do want to be educated and not panicky.

I also have a question about warping? Do you call right away and let folks know or do you simply wait to see if it settles. I've already called about my warping in the botany cabinet. I had huge warping on my botany cabinet insets (the one on discount) and I will be expected to cover shipping since it was a sales final one - though they are letting me trade the warped pieces so shipping shouldn't be too bad. I sent photos though it is hard to see warping when you are taking an angle photo - thought they are obvious and unusable in real life.

Do you always have returns/items needing attention when you order Montessori materials? I've been a bit shocked by the extent of problems with orders. We are in AL so it is very hot and generally humid, though we're currently in a drought.

Thanks for helping educate this beginner.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Eleanor
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 12 2007 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote Eleanor

Sorry, I can't help you with the insets, but just wanted to share our experience with buying materials.

We've ordered a few things from premium suppliers, and had absolutely no problems. Of course, for that price, you'd expect the materials to curtsey, do a little dance, and make your breakfast for you!

We've also ordered a few things from Alison's, and noticed slight defects with about half the items (warping, uneven paint, minor scratches), though nothing serious enough to make us go through the hassle of returning them. The materials that seemed like the biggest bargains (e.g, the number rods, which were about 1/8 the price of the premium version) ended up having the most noticeable problems. I wasn't entirely surprised by this; after starting to make my own rods, and giving up, I realized that the simplest materials are in some ways the hardest to get right. With so few variables, the lower-grade materials and less-precise workmanship make a very obvious difference. This isn't so much the case with "fancier" items, like the globes, the land forms, or even the bead chains (none of which we've bought from Alison's, but I've seen many discount and even homemade versions that looked very good).

Still, the rods and other items are quite functional, and the children seem to like them fine.

BTW, we're in California and have very low humidity, but still encountered some warping... so I'm inclined to doubt that your climate is to blame.
Back to Top View Eleanor's Profile Search for other posts by Eleanor

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2007 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Most of my materials are from Montessori Outlet. I had a few problems with them leaving things out of the orders, but not with quality.

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version