Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St. Benedict Feast Day Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 10 2007 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I'm planning to serve "St. Benedict Salad", from 12 Months of Monastery Salads -- I'm on my way out right now, but when I get back later I'll post the recipe.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 10 2007 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

St. Benedict's Salad

from 12 Months of Monastery Salads (instructions rewritten)

3 cups cooked rice, cooled
3 medium-size cucumbers, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup pitted black olives, drained and coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon capers, drained
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/2 cup mayonnaise, homemade or store-bought
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon curry powder

Combine rice, cucumbers, and the rest of the ingredients up to the lemon juice in large salad bowl. Toss gently to distribute flavors.

Whisk mayonnaise, garlic, and curry powder and pour over salad. Toss to coat. Chill before serving.   Serve atop lettuce leaves.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2007 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

How fun is this---We are going to a birthday party for twins! Voila--built in celebration...we'll read Holy Twins on the way (and we're giving it to them as a gift). We're cooking Italian for dinner and making, taking a closer look at the St. Benedict medal on Daddy's cross, and maknig the ladders suggested in Catholic Mosaic if the day doesn't get the best of me (art class and play rehearsal are squeezed somewhere in there too!)

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 2:21am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

That looks good Stef!!!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Well it is 10pm on St Benedict's feast and I'm tired! Jenn, after discovering that St Benedict was the patron of beekeepers we went and visited a bee farm (only 10mins drive from my fortnightly grocery shop and that is today) Here is the photos of the day.

Stef, love to hear how your salad went! I'll do that one next year (I'm still craving salads at present, the ingredient list looks SO enticing.)

Happy feast day to you all!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I am very curious. Why is St. Benedict the patron saint of beekeepers? I was under the impression it was St. Ambrose. The Blessing of Bees doesn't mention St. Benedict specifically so I am wondering if there is a legend or story that I don't know about that ties St. Benedict to bees along with St. Ambrose. I know that sometimes patronages cross over.

We usually make bumble bee cookies for St. Ambrose's day since no one here will touch Ambrosia and I am sure my kids would love any excuse to make them twice a year, but they will also ask "Why?". Does anyone know why other than the Catholic Culture link that says so? I can't find any other reference to the custom of blessing the bees on St. Benedict's day.

Is it possibly because St. Benedict was the founder of western monasticism and monks use to keep bees?

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 11 2007 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Matilda wrote:
I am very curious. Why is St. Benedict the patron saint of beekeepers? I was under the impression it was St. Ambrose. The Blessing of Bees doesn't mention St. Benedict specifically so I am wondering if there is a legend or story that I don't know about that ties St. Benedict to bees along with St. Ambrose. I know that sometimes patronages cross over.

We usually make bumble bee cookies for St. Ambrose's day since no one here will touch Ambrosia and I am sure my kids would love any excuse to make them twice a year, but they will also ask "Why?". Does anyone know why other than the Catholic Culture link that says so? I can't find any other reference to the custom of blessing the bees on St. Benedict's day.

Is it possibly because St. Benedict was the founder of western monasticism and monks use to keep bees?

Well, it's possible that "A Candle is Lighted" was incorrect. But a quick search I did find a reference for St. Benedict connection.

St. Ambrose is the patron saint of bees, but so are a few other saints including St. Bernard. Perhaps Craig meant St. Bernard and not Benedict? And beekeepers has St. Valentine.

Helen Mcloughlin also illustrates the same connection in her My Nameday Come for Dessert.

I'm thinking it might be to do with his Rule, and monasteries always connected with beekeeping?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 2:17am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

On of Jenn's original links, I think it was the one that talked about the Legend of Bees in general, that St Benedict had summoned bees to collect nectar for him?

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2007 at 3:36am | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

That salad does sound really nice Stef, I wish I had of seen this before or even on St Benedict's feast day, but as I have a son named Benedict I will try it for his birthday in September which will be our Spring. That salad will go very nicely with a nice Spring birthday. Maybe even a Beesting birthday cake - Thanks Anne!

He will love all the connections as he takes his name very seriously, and his saint St Benedict and of course HIS Pope.

God Bless
Chemai

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2008 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Friday is July 11, I was making up my grocery list for the rest of the week and planning a blowout party for Friday. I discovered Honey Maid Bees earlier this month, they'd bee perfect for a super simple teatime or snack.

I think I'll have to try Stef's Salad for dinner, it sounds delish but for lunch Marianna and I just might have Benedictine Sandwiches.

What are you planning for the Feast Day?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2008 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Nothing specific to St. Benedict planned. We're traveling with my parents to PA, and it happens to be my dad's 65th birthday! So we'll be celebrating that.

But I'm glad you bumped this, so I can bring "The Holy Twins" on our trip to read!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 11 2008 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Ugghh...We just got back from vacation late last night and I knew the feast day was coming up but in a vague kind of way - forgetting the actual date. I'm not ready for anything!!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2008 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

We studied this a few years ago. St. Benedict wrote the blessing for the bees that used to be used regularly on or about the time when candles were consecrated. The blessing is no longer in vogue, but it was important for hundreds of years.

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 29 2009 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

bumping this up b/c the feast day is July 11.

Some great ideas, would love to hear any other ideas anyone has.
Back to Top View SylviaB's Profile Search for other posts by SylviaB

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 09 2009 at 3:44am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I have been looking for some kind of worksheet or coloring page of the medal of St. Benedict. There are such great symbols and meaning in the inscriptions of the medal and it would be a good project for students on St. Benedict's feast. Having not been able to find anything like that or even a decent sized outline image of the medal, I finally decided to take matters into my own hands. I tried to upload it here, but the size was a bit too big for the server, so I did upload it on my blog. You can download it from there if you are interested.

The Medal of St. Benedict Worksheet

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote doris

Ooh, Mary, that's lovely! Our parish church is a Benedictine abbey, so I wanted to mark the feast a bit more this year.

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2009 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Chari

I am confused........my son was born on Saint Benedict's feast day, 12 years ago, March 21st.....

Was his day moved?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 09 2009 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Before the reform of the General Roman Calendar St. Benedict's feast was celebrated on March 21. So, yes on the traditional calendar that is the date. The current calendar feast date is July 11.

Our Domestic Church

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2009 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote Chari

oh, okay.......thanks, Mary

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2009 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote doris

I did this with my dc today and they declared that it was 'lovely'! Thanks again, Mary.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version