Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Great end to our 2 wks of Ping Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 12 2005 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

We have almost finished rowing Ping and learning about China and Chinese New Year. Tonight our family went to our favorite Vietnamese restaurant for dinner. There was a group of high school aged Vietnamese kids performing the Dragon Dance to celebrate the Chinese/Vietnamese New Year! There were about threee dragons (2-3 teenagers maneuvering each dragon costume) and one person in a mask "fighting" the dragons. There were a few kids playing the drums and cymbals. I was so excited (and so were my kids)! It was such a great tie in that occurred totally by accident! I didn't know that Vietnam celebrates the Chinese New Year as well. I am loving this journey! Courtney in Texas
Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 13 2005 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I love it when it all comes together -- especially when unplanned! Our current example of this, though not nearly as dramatic or exciting, is that we are studying the Arctic and also reading through the Swallows and Amazons series. We happen to be on Winter Holiday, which revolves around an imaginary excursion to the arctic.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 23 2005 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Here are our china plans. It's funny, I intended to "row" Ping but he barely got a mention 2005-02-23_181914_Daisy_and_Ping.doc

I'll post lapbook pictures when the digital camera returns home

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 01 2005 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

This is a HUGE lapbook that we did as a family. It has an interior page taped into it and two flaps on the top and bottom. This picture shows a vocabulary flap book on the left. The middle panel hold three narrations of those books done by Christian (12) and Patrick (10). On the right is a circle story illustartion of Daisy Comes Home.

When the Homesick narration page is flipped to the right, you see narrations done by the younger children under flaps with images from the covers of the books. The folds with drawings on the right-hand page, are three way folds, showing the picture of an object, then the Chinese character, then the English word.

Under the fold that looks like a cape is a Venn Diagram, comparing Lon Po Po and Little Red Riding HOod. In the red envelope below it are tangram pieces and a copy of the front of Grandfather Tang's Story. Bneath that is a pocket holding a very detailed travel brochure for China. It includes narrations on the Great Wall, Beiging, Mt. Everest, Tianamen Square, and other useful tourist information. The notebook paper in front of the brochure has Christian's biography of Chariman Mao.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2005 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Does anyone know of a unit study online specifically for Ping?

Thank you!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 27 2005 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I don't know of a specifically "Ping" online study. FIAR has a week of Ping though.Also, many of the ideas in the China unit above could be used with Ping and you could just ignore the other things...

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2005 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

BrendaPeter wrote:
Does anyone know of a unit study online specifically for Ping?

Brenda,
It's the very first story rowed in FIAR's Volume 1.
Have you used that?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2005 at 1:15am | IP Logged Quote kristina

Funny about Ping:

After we first read Ping, as our children were climbing the stairs to go up to bed, one of the boys gave his brother a "spank" and says "Last One Up The Stairs Gets a Spank!" much to his brother's displeasure .

Of course, I immediately addressed the situation, but it took great restraint on my part not to laugh . A wonderful book about another culture and that is what my son takes away from it?? ... boys...

kristina
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2005 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Last night, we were talking about _Rikki Tikki Tembo_ and I was wondering if that would be a good book to support Ping???

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2005 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Thanks everyone,

I found my way over to the FIAR archives - very helpful!

Brenda (mom to 6)

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2005 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

BTW Elizabeth,

Do you still have your Rabbit Trails Yahoo Group now that we have that topic here? I remember some goodies in the archives.

Thx!

Brenda (mom to 6)

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 28 2005 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Awesome lapbook!
But whose toes are those?

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version