Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: dance class for my 3 yo? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
simplemama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 15 2007 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote simplemama

So I need some advice. My 3 yo little princess loves dancing and singing, mostly since she could walk and make noise :) Currently she has been doing a once a week tumble class and seems to like it a lot. She didn't really pay attention real well in Kindermusik as she just wanted to dance around the room in her own little dream world.
I don't want to get her overinvolved but should I jump in and get her into some dance class while she is excited and interested in it? I can't decide....
Back to Top View simplemama's Profile Search for other posts by simplemama Visit simplemama's Homepage

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 16 2007 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

Both dd's started ballet at 3yo. You could try asking for a trial run or just pay for one month somewhere and see how she does. Dd2 loves dancing! Dd1 likes it because her friend is in there and she likes being on stage at the recital at the end of the year but i think that's about how far she likes it.

simplemama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 16 2007 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote simplemama

yes maybe I will see if we can just do a trial day or pay for one month. I am wondering though if we should drop her 1x/week gymanstics class. I could see how they would both be helpful but I don't want to overstimulate/overschedule her or myself.

I'm also afraid she will be too shy to do the recital thing.
Back to Top View simplemama's Profile Search for other posts by simplemama Visit simplemama's Homepage

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2007 at 1:41am | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

At 3yo, their recital is plain cute no matter if they're following the teacher or not.

I wouldnt consider dropping the tumbling class til you know if she even likes ballet or not. If she enjoys tumbling though, i would probably pick that over ballet. Dd1 would probably enjoy something more exciting like gymnastics over ballet but in our area there is not a lot available.

rose gardens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2007 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote rose gardens

simplemama wrote:
yes maybe I will see if we can just do a trial day or pay for one month. ...I'm also afraid she will be too shy to do the recital thing.

Look around for summer dance programs. Some dance studios offer shorter classes and no recital in summer. We signed our daughters up for a class. I don't know if they'll continue in fall, but I thought the summer program was a great way for them to try ballet.
Back to Top View rose gardens's Profile Search for other posts by rose gardens

hopalenik
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 20 2007 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote hopalenik

Honestly, as a former dancer, I would wait until age 4 1/2 at least probably 5. You are truely just wasting your money unless you just think it is cute. A tumbling class or mommy and gym is OK, but they are just not coordinated enough yet and do not know their right from their left well enough to actually learn much. I taught ballet for several years ast well, so this perspective comes from teaching and as a mom with 2 girls in ballet. My third and fourth girls can beg with tears in their eyes but they will not start until the fall that they turn 5.

Holly
Back to Top View hopalenik's Profile Search for other posts by hopalenik

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 21 2007 at 1:12am | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

I can totally see where you're coming from Holly. It is just cute when they're 3yo. Dd's started that young because that was the only activity for them at the time and we were so bored at home, i had to find something. Now that dd's are 5 and 6yo this year, they are learning more.

simplemama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 21 2007 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote simplemama

Thank you for these comments, they have been very helpful. Holly thank you for saying what I think I already thought, just wanted to make sure ;)

For now I will just have fun with her and music and if she is still interested in a couple years we'll look around for some classes. Maybe we can get some fun book about it somewhere that is basic do-it-at home sort of stuff.

hopalenik
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 23 2007 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote hopalenik

Glad that you weren't offended by my bluntnest. My oldest started at 4 1/2 which was OK, but she is not the most forward child and the classes have not really progressed for her. My second started at 3 1/2 and that was a big mistake.

Holly
Back to Top View hopalenik's Profile Search for other posts by hopalenik

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2007 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Both of my dd's began dancing at age 3. My oldest dd is quite good, and even though she is still young, wants to have her own studio and teach someday. Dh and I would just be happy if she got a college scholarship down the road as a result of all of her hard work! One piece of advice - look for a school that sticks to teaching ballet, esp. at such a young age. Some programs put the young children under 7 in ballet/jazz/tap right away, and overall (according to many books I have read on the topic of classical dance and what I have personally observed/experienced), it isn't ideal, instead it can become confusing for the minds as well as their muscles.

Also, I just went back and re-read some of the previous posts. Be aware that ballet at this age is really "creative movement" that employs some basic ballet type movements into it, as opposed to learning particular portions of any specific ballet syllabus. Also, while I agree with much of what Holly mentioned in her posts, I think it also depends greatly on the child. My oldest dd came out of the womb with excellent coordination and the ability to listen and soak in what she is being taught. Because of this, she has progressed a lot in classical ballet. That said, she will eventually have to wait on her own physical development to proceed to the higher levels of dance, because no girl will be placed on pointe, for example, at a good school until she is somewhere between 10-1/2 and 12 years old, and coming to class regularly at least 2-3 times per week.

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version