Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Waldorf/ Steiner Art Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

The woman who ran it said she took it down due to personal problems. I found the site hosted here on an archive should anyone be interested.

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Has anyone found an alternative site like the one that is "archive only"?   I can't always get the links, etc.    

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

She has the webpage all offline if you are in her Waldorf group you can ask her about some of it. She had to take it down due to cost and a 'personal situation'.

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Alice C
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Alice C

Can someone please explain a bit about Waldorf "Form Drawing"? Is this simply drawing the shape of something rather that the outline? I have been toying with the idea of getting this book (the first one on the page) for a while, just because I am so curious about the concept. Thanks!!

a number of things
gardens of grace
Back to Top View Alice C's Profile Search for other posts by Alice C

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

No, it's more like those exercises at the beginning of a handwriting book where you draw lines or curves or such. And then you move to more complicated forms. Here's an image and another

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Alice C
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote Alice C

Thanks, Elizabeth! That's fascinating! How do the early lessons in form drawing influence later (Waldorf) artistic expression?

a number of things
gardens of grace

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Alice,
I have the Waldorf Without Walls form drawing book and I'm not all that impressed at its value for the money. But Donna Simmons' comes highly recommended. check out the samples
at this link.

Waldorf people attach a lot of meaning and purpose to form drawing beyond handwriting prep.
There is a story that goes with the forms.
Barbara Dewey writes that "Form drawing works on the ehteric body so that in sleep the forms are "corrected." "Correction" brings harmony to the etheric body, which , in turn brings harmony to the physical body. The process involves working with the highest spirit beings. Thus the teacher must bring form drawing to the children with great reverence but also with joy and imagination."

Honestly, she lost me there.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Alice C
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote Alice C

Elizabeth wrote:

Whew! Me too! Thanks for input, I think you just saved me twenty bucks.

a number of things
gardens of grace

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Alice C wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

Whew! Me too! Thanks for input, I think you just saved me twenty bucks.
Yep, that's the downside to Waldorf -- it's pretty non-Christian in many of it's philosophies ... which is too bad because there is so much GOOD there!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
I'd really like to use some of the Waldorf art ideas at home with my almost four year old. Can we discuss further what resources would be good for me to understand some guidelines to provide for him?

I'd like some books, not Internet resources. I can't spend a lot of my time on the computer right now. Nothing elaborate, and I'd like veer a bit away from the wierd stuff, but just something that I can give him some little nudges.

Answering my own question, I see Elizabeth had great post on Waldorf that I'll dig in deeper. I'm hoping in this list I'll find a book that deals more with the art side of Waldorf for littles?

Sigh. I wish there was a manual that gave exactly what I wanted so I wouldn't have to sift through so many places. I have the same problem with Montessori. Well, I guess with everything I want to pursue. So much research and reading required by Mommy before implementation.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

Elizabeth wrote:
Alice,
I have the Waldorf Without Walls form drawing book and I'm not all that impressed at its value for the money. But Donna Simmons' comes highly recommended. check out the samples
at this link.

I have the Donna Simmons' book and I don't think it was worth the money either. I did get Form Drawing by Neiderhauser and Frohlich from ILL and wish I had spent the money on that one. It had more geometric forms than Simmons. I did skip all the "philosophy" behind the forms. I want my boys to be able to draw geometric shapes by hand. That's all. No "corrections" to ethereal problems, thank you.

SharI
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Okay--I just swallowed hard and ordered Stockmar crayons, beeswax, and Ferby pencils...because I want art and creative interaction to a cornerstone of our lives, because I want my six year old to enjoy the process of learning to read and write as much as he enjoys filling a sketch book with amazing drawings, because I want my nine year old to prefer the feel of warm beeswax in his hands to the feel of the computer keyboard, because I want my four year old to have a way to focus his intense energy on something that inspires him and creates a product he is proud of...so tell me I did the right thing and won't regret the money spent one bit, so the knot in my stomach can loosen!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Shari in NY
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote Shari in NY

Dear Colleen,
   You did the right thing and you won't regret the money at all!! Have a joyous time!

Shari
Back to Top View Shari in NY's Profile Search for other posts by Shari in NY

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

missionfamily wrote:
Okay--I just swallowed hard and ordered Stockmar crayons, beeswax, and Ferby pencils...because I want art and creative interaction to a cornerstone of our lives, because I want my six year old to enjoy the process of learning to read and write as much as he enjoys filling a sketch book with amazing drawings, because I want my nine year old to prefer the feel of warm beeswax in his hands to the feel of the computer keyboard, because I want my four year old to have a way to focus his intense energy on something that inspires him and creates a product he is proud of...so tell me I did the right thing and won't regret the money spent one bit, so the knot in my stomach can loosen!

My kids are really, really inspired by their materials. Yours will be, too.
And an aside, I've been waiting for the desperate call from Michael urging me to quickly get him whatever critical thing he left at home. It came yesterday.
"Mom, is there any way you can bring me my drawing pencils before tomorrow night??? Please? I'm desperate and I priced them at the bookstore and I can't afford to replace them!"

First, one wonders why an art major left his pencils at home. (But if you'd seen the state of our basement and his basement bedroom as he packed, you might cut him some slack.)
Then, one recognizes that this was one of those long-awaited moments when your children appreciate from an adult perspective something you provided and they are grateful all over again in a much different way.

You did a good thing, Colleen. I can't wait to see pictures of their work.

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Okay, so yesterday was a bit like Christmas here, except the pestering mosquitos, smothering humidity, and wet mud of a lawn . First, an amazon box containing Felt Wee Folk, Toymaking with Children, and The Big Book of Catholic Traditions and customs for me and Beorn the Proud and Sword Story for Quinn. I spent the better part of the afternoon in my rocking chair with tea and my books. Then a priority mail box from Bella Luna toys with Stockmar crayons, Lyra pencils, and beeswax.   I spent the better part of the evening drawing pictures of our bunnies and reading aloud while Quinn modeled the coolest baseball player, Gabriel made aliens of all sorts, and Brendan simply enjoyed getting the wax as warm and soft as possible. There's no way to describe to people who don't "get it" the quiet joy of new books and art supplies, but I know you all will quite understand. I feel a bout of "Wee folk" making coming on this evening.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Oh, Colleen, please post pictures as you go. I'm awaiting my felt but eager to begin crafting some toys, too.

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I have a beewax question, as I prepare an order too !

Once you have modeled something with it, can the kiddos ball it back up and store it and use it again...or is it a one time deal? KWIM

And how do you store it?

Thanks!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Alice C
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote Alice C

Elizabeth wrote:
Oh, Colleen, please post pictures as you go. I'm awaiting my felt but eager to begin crafting some toys, too.

Yes, we need pictures, Colleen!!

Elizabeth, do you use 100% wool felt? I have a small stack that I ordered from Magic Cabin about a year ago, but I confess, I am hording it. I have been letting the kids use the cheap stuff from Hobby Lobby. Do you, or anyone else, have a less expensive source for the nice wool felt? I would love to let them use it, but... well you know, they go through it so fast.

a number of things
gardens of grace

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2007 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Tami

Is Mueller's book Painting with Children suitable for using with chidren 10 and up?

I've been fascinated with this thread, but am not sure if it fits with 'older' chidren.

Thanks!

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

dollylima
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 10 2007 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote dollylima

KackyK wrote:
I have a beewax question, as I prepare an order too !

Once you have modeled something with it, can the kiddos ball it back up and store it and use it again...or is it a one time deal? KWIM

And how do you store it?

Thanks!

Yes, you can re-warm it in your hands and shape it into different forms as many times as your heart desires.
And as for storing it, I usually keep it in a metal tin, just because I like keeping special things in pretty containers...but if your child is anything like mine, it will be "stored" under the booster seat in the car, in his pants-pockets, on the table next to the bed...I have learned to check all pockets for small treasures made from wax or just balled up wax, acorns, twigs, "special" rocks, bug carcasses....:-)
Back to Top View dollylima's Profile Search for other posts by dollylima

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version