Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Miniature Vestments and Altar Cloths Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 03 2007 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

The vestments and altar cloths from Catholic Montessori and Our Father's Houseare just beautiful, but so pricey. Anyone attempt to make their own? Or what do you use as an alternative? Was it difficult? Expensive? Can you share patterns and sources?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 03 2007 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I made my own vestments before I knew about the ones available online. I like my homemade ones better (only because they took a lot of learning how to sew for me to make them). The first set of chasubles I made was a bit tricky, but the second set was easier in that I just cut a huge circle, hemmed it, cut a small slit in the top, hemmed that (best to use a bit of same color ribbon folded over the edge), sewed on some basic ribbon and done. The alb and baptism garment I made from a very basic pattern, which I would tweak if I do it again, though it was fine really.

I made our own altar cloths based on the size of our altar and made the linens using the patterns that came with the Mass kit from Our Father's House. I found these to be very very easy - just squares/rectangles hemmed all around (the pall was easy as well). One set of altar cloths has lace added to the sides for more length, the other is plain. (I have had two atriums: one at the parish and one at home)

I had the material for the altar linens already, so I can't compare prices there. The altar cloths, chasubles and other vestments I did purchase - I think I paid less than $20 altogether (I got all the same material, on sale or with coupons, just in different colors - the white garments were the same cut of material as the white altar cloth). Our vestments fit on a stand about 18-20 inches tall.

I found it was worth it - definitely time-consuming for a newbie at sewing like me, but I would do it again.

~Jessica
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 03 2007 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

We bought our vestments which I love. I remember Our Father's House used to also sell a pattern for them and it came with a vesting prayer, but I don't have it.

My friend made the altar cloths etc and altar for me. The corporal is a linen handky with a cross paint penned in the middle and ironed so you have the creases . The purificator and altar cloth are plain white cotton hemmed simply. I think the pall was glue gunned? The hand towel is white wash cloth. Fairly simple, and you could always "upgrade" later.

mandamum
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 03 2007 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote mandamum

I made the altar cloths--I think I just bought some white cotton cloth from JoAnns at $1-2/yd. You only need one yard. And straight seams--not too bad! My problem is getting my pressed folds to stay through child folding....
Back to Top View mandamum's Profile Search for other posts by mandamum

mandamum
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 03 2007 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote mandamum

regarding patterns--the pall needs to be big enough to sit atop the chalice. Cut two squares of white fabric (or one rectangle and fold in half, if you're lazy like me ) with enough room for a seam, and sew three sides. Press the fourth side where you will sew it, and cut a piece of cardboard to fit. Slide in the cardboard and finish the last seam by hand. The corporal should fold in 3x3 to be about the same size as the pall, with the hem folded in and then folded in again so the raw edge is inside.
Back to Top View mandamum's Profile Search for other posts by mandamum

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 03 2007 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote trish

I'm planning on purchasing the altar cloths and the patterns for the vestments. They look so beautiful.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 03 2007 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I made our----fairly staight forward if I remember correctly!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 04 2007 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I made vestments for "Father Oak." My husband cut out the shape of a priest from a small piece of oak and glued another piece of oak on the back so he would stand up on our Feast Day table. Then the kids "dress him" in the appropriate liturgical colors, naming the different vestments as they dress him. The vestments were easy to make. We have a chasuble, stole and cincture in each of the liturgical colors. I do have some basic patterns that I just sketched out (mostly for my dh to cut the figure of Father Oak out of and for me to go by to sew the chasubles.) My patterns aren't store-bought (read: clear and neat) but I'd be happy to share as much as I can if you're interested.

I bought the altar cloths because I was afraid I wouldn't get the measurements right, but I think they would be very easy to make - it's all just straight hems and a little embroidery. Simple linen would look lovely, and when ironed they hold a fold very neatly. Using some beautiful lace would add a lot to your altar cloth. If I had had the instructions with the measurements/patterns from Our Father's House, I probably would have made my set.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 04 2007 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote Erin

If you were to make your own altar clothes what fabric would you recommend?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I would choose linen, it will sew beautifully and should hold the fold lines nicely.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 05 2007 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote Erin

What are the size measurements for the altar cloths?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 05 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

This is what is included and the dimensions for the altar cloths from Our Father's House:

Altar Cloth 11x34
Corporal 10x10”
Pall 3” square
Purificator 6x 8 ½”
Finger Towel 8 x 10”

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2007 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
I made vestments for "Father Oak." My husband cut out the shape of a priest from a small piece of oak and glued another piece of oak on the back so he would stand up on our Feast Day table. Then the kids "dress him" in the appropriate liturgical colors, naming the different vestments as they dress him. The vestments were easy to make. We have a chasuble, stole and cincture in each of the liturgical colors. I do have some basic patterns that I just sketched out (mostly for my dh to cut the figure of Father Oak out of and for me to go by to sew the chasubles.) My patterns aren't store-bought (read: clear and neat) but I'd be happy to share as much as I can if you're interested.

This is probably the approach I'll take. Visiting some local atriums, dressing "Father Oak" seems to fit more with the CGS than the child wearing a vestment. So, better for my pocketbook, too.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Alison
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 11 2007 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote Alison

Jennifer do you have a picture of Father Oak ? Also I would love the vestment pattern if your offer still stands

blessings

Alison

ps loved the pictures of your atrium
Back to Top View Alison's Profile Search for other posts by Alison Visit Alison's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 12 2007 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Alison wrote:

Jennifer do you have a picture of Father Oak ? Also I would love the vestment pattern if your offer still stands

blessings

Alison

ps loved the pictures of your atrium

Alison,
If you or others are interested, I thought maybe the easiest way to show you Father Oak was just to put up a post about him on my blog. If it would be easier and you'd like a photocopy of my (terribly messy) patterns just so you have a piece of paper - just PM me.

Father Oak

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version