Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Pentecost ideas???? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 21 2007 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

See original thread.
Sticky post with all the planning threads.

So what are we serving for Pentecost? What great ideas for activities do you all have? I enjoyed the Ascension ones so much I want to get a weeks head start....anyone?
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2007 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

We usually do a BBQ for Pentecost. We love the imagery of the tongues of fire descending on Mary and the Apostles. We also serve up anything red in colour or SPICY! We also have a 'Fruits of the Spirit' fruit salad with a birthday cake for the Church! can't wait to hear what the others come up with, I love Pentecost celebrations!!      

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2007 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

We all wear red shirts or dresses to Mass, provided laundry has been done in time to coodinate

We also have a birthday cake. I love the BBQ idea and serving red foods. I would love to try that this year.

Maybe a tomato and red onion salad, red beans and rice, strawberry short cake, and fruit punch. I'd love to get the 'Fruits of the Spirit' fruit salad recipe.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 21 2007 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks for the reminder. Since I won't be home, I should make something now.

Some older threads have some great ideas:

Pentecost tomorrow

Pentecost. Don't miss Janette's beautiful Pentecost Cake.

Lots of ideas from Catholic Culture. A Continual Feast has the 12 fruit salad which I like to serve.

I really like this idea of a Pentecost Wheel, but I can't find my pamphlet for the illustration! St. Anthony, please!

Women for Faith and Family include in family celebration of Pentecost an idea based from one of my favorite books:
The great liturgist and pastor Monsignor Martin Hellriegel told of the customs for celebrating the feast of Pentecost in his family in Heppenheim, Germany when he was growing up. This practice could easily be imitated by Catholic families today.

"Pentecost was another special occasion for the Hellriegel family. As on each major feast day, the family dinner was served with the best linen and silverware. The centerpiece for this day was a large candle as a symbol of the Spirit with red streamers going to each place at the table. The streamer going to the place of the father was of double width, indicating his role as head of the family. Seven large rosebuds represented the seven gifts of the Spirit."
Martin B. Hellriegel: Pastoral Liturgist, Noel Hackmann Barrett. St. Louis, 1990. Bureau of the Catholic Central Union of America.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2007 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Why a birthday cake?
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 21 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

chicken lady wrote:
Why a birthday cake?

Pentecost is known as the birthday of the Church.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2007 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I don't want to admit to never knowing that
Must have slept through those classes

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 21 2007 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

chicken lady wrote:
I don't want to admit to never knowing that
Must have slept through those classes

LOL! I don't remember classes with that mentioned, but I do remember the little children's rosary booklet I used as a little girl that included that in the description.

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2007 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

I know I've mentioned this before, but last year ds thought of putting little lego men on our Pentecost cake with those little lego flames attached to their heads. I just loved this! It was so perfect, we plan to do the same thing again this year. Dd will probably want to sew itty bitty red clothes for them, but they look fine as they are with great big flames sticking straight up out of their heads. Of course, to pull this off you'd have to have lego-crazy boys around. Luckily I am so blessed

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 21 2007 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

I like to end where i start so to speak so we will have lots of eggs dishes plus we have been saving our egg shells and will make confetti eggs with reds and gold confetti.

I have lots of ideas but we'll see where i get Ill post the eggs up on our site when there done

maggie

craftyincoffeeland.blogspot.com
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2007 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Tomorrow we're making a Pentecost windsock - the gifts of the Holy Spirit attached with streamers and a dove on the top part (construction paper cylinder). We'll hang it off our deck. We're studying wind this week for science so this ties in nicely.

I'm making "Pentecost" cupcakes for Thursday (the day we do tea and read the Gospel for Sunday). I have a display stand that holds 13 cupcakes and a dove to hang above.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 21 2007 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We are going to use this display for Pentecost.
This is my Apostle display and Mary G.'s version.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2007 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

MAry G. where did you find all those great pictures? Love all the ideas coming.....keep them coming. I think we will copy Dawn and do a wind sock, and of course all the great food ideas.

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2007 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

OK Jenn to truly show my ignorance, WHY is this the birthday of the church? I am not connecting the dots here

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 21 2007 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

chicken lady wrote:
WHY is this the birthday of the church? I am not connecting the dots here

I think it's confusing because as Catholics we don't often use that exact "birthday" wording (at least I never heard it growing up). Basically we would refer to the Feast of Pentecost as the birthday because on Pentecost the Holy Spirit descended and the Church was born.

Holy Spirit Gives Birth to the Church- Catholic Culture
The Birth of the Church at Pentecost - Vatican

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 21 2007 at 11:26pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The Catholic Encyclopedia says that "In Italy it was customary to scatter rose leaves from the ceiling of the churches to recall the miracle of the fiery tongues; hence in Sicily and elsewhere in Italy Whitsunday is called Pascha rosatum."

And

"In France it was customary to blow trumpets during Divine service, to recall the sound of the mighty wind which accompanied the Descent of the Holy Ghost."

Both would be fun ideas to incorporate into celebration of Pentecost in our homes.

Our Domestic Church

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2007 at 12:39am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

We're also making a Pentecost windsock that I read about in Our Year with God. We are adding one steamer (gift of the Holy Spirit) each day, focusing discussion on what that gift means. By Pentecost all seven will be on.

Jenn, thanks for the links. Janette's cake is beautiful!

I've planned a very simple white cake w/ candles.

The Pentecost displays created by MaryM & Mary G are so amazing. My jaw drops each time I look at them. (So unique & creative)
I'm considering having my children make one for our priest.

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2007 at 1:24am | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

we are planning to make many many many fire cutouts and have them on each seat at church with a fruit of the spirit on it. we are also making a poster saying all of the fruits to br placed below the alter. and then a birthday cake for each mass. 3 in total . i have several helpers per mass. we are excited .
leanne
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Ruth wrote:
I'd love to get the 'Fruits of the Spirit' fruit salad recipe.

I wish I could provide you with a glamourous recipe, but it's embarrasingly simple, Ruth! I try to find 9 different fruits, cut them into bite sized pieces and place them in a big ole' bowl ! The fruits I usually use are:

strawberries
green grapes
red grapes
cantaloupe melon
honeydew melon
watermelon
nectarines or peaches
pineapple
blueberries

I'm thinking out loud here, but I'm wondering if something can't be done with the beautiful clothespin Apostles that we all made for Lent and Easter. As far as I know, Moira's lesson plans don't include a Pentecost lesson (but my copy of her book has gone MIA in recent weeks ...)

I'm wondering if we couldn't make the Pentecost lesson more tangible by using the clothespin Apostles (and Mary) and somehow representing the Holy Spirit descending upon them. Perhaps a glittering white cardstock dove with 13 mini flames hanging from it with fishing line ? Hmmmm, I'll have to think more on that. I also picked up a package of mini (1 inch or so) glittering plastic doves from the wedding section of a craft store with Pentecost in mind. Not too sure yet what I'm going to do with those, though...

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 22 2007 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

I also picked up a package of mini (1 inch or so) glittering plastic doves from the wedding section of a craft store with Pentecost in mind. Not too sure yet what I'm going to do with those, though...

Mary its good to know im not the only one collecting strange and random objects because they might have a use down the line.

Maggie

btw how do you do quotes the "right" way- i cant figure it out
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version