Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: "Heavenly" Ascension Pancakes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 19 2007 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Hi everyone!

I only have a few minutes before the baby will get up but I wanted to share something spontaneous that really worked for us today. I knew that the Assumption Holy Day was upon us this week and was dissapointed not to have any time to get something planned. I've been working on compiling simple ideas for a "Celebrating the Liturgical Year" notebook but haven't finished it yet (not much time with the baby and a potty-trained-but-still-needs-help toddler), so this morning we just "winged it!" And I apologize if anyone has already contributed something like this on their blog or otherwise (I haven't had as much time as I'd like to read all your great ideas!) ...I definitely know better than to think any of MY ideas are THAT original around here!!

So here's what we did: we made "Heavenly" Ascension Pancakes. First we made our pancakes and real whipped cream. We set the table with an image of The Ascension and a candle. I read the bible story from our Children's Bible and then...

(Keeping in mind that my littles are mostly boys and I need to keep it simple and quick, but lasting )

...Each child took 1 pancake and placed it on a plate. This was the "earth" (ground) where Jesus walked.

...Then sliced, fresh strawberries (from our own patch on the farm ) were added on the "earth".
This was the "blood of Christ" that was shed for us.

...Then chocolate syrup was drizzled in paths across the "earth."
These are the "roads," representing the mandate of Jesus to go out and share our faith.

...Then the pancakes, berries and chocolate were topped with generous amounts of whipped cream. (Cool Whip would work great too!)
These are the "clouds" into which Our Lord ascended. They are the heavens where we hope to spend eternity with him.

...Then lastly came the sprinkles. I wish I'd had yellow, golden-colored sprinkles, or white chocolate bar shavings, but I didn't so I used what was on hand: chocolate sprinkles.
The sprinkles are the "sweetness" of life in heaven with Jesus.

Okay, no big deal, just something uncomplicated and easy for use with what's already on hand. I love the food ideas because I figure I HAVE to feed my kids, so why not make it meaningful...

And... the boys really seemed to get the message. They were asking each other how they liked their "earth" and "clouds!"

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 19 2007 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This is a wonderful idea - so creative (and yummy!) Thanks for sharing it, Kristine.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 19 2007 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

This is just fabulous! I think the busiest moms have the best ideas!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Great fun, I think we will try it!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 19 2007 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

JennGM wrote:
This is just fabulous! I think the busiest moms have the best ideas!

Absolutely! These are inspired and doable ideas . And yummy .

Thanks, Kristine!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2007 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

I love it!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2007 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

...gee, I'm hungry! This is great! I love using the ordinary in an extra-ordinary way! Thank you for sharing, Kristine!

God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2007 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I love it! And we can still do it tomorrow.

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2007 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Oh, Kristine, I love this!!!

I did something similar last year on the feast of the Assumption. I had one friend who just came out of the hospital after surgery, and another friend who had been put on strict bedrest in her 5th pregnancy. I wanted to bring them both a meal that reflected the feast day, and at the same time could be made in huge quantities! I ended up making Shepherd's Pie - the beef mixture on the bottom was reminiscent of the "earth", and the white potatoes on top were like the clouds into which Mary was assumed. I guess this would work for the Ascension, as well.

Another recipe that I make for both feasts is the Italian dessert "Tiramisu" which literally translated means "lift me up". This recipe gets rave reviews everytime I make it, even from the discriminating tastes of my Italian born parents! It is no-bake and doesn't take much time to put together provided you have the ingredients on hand. Here it is:

Tiramisu

500g Mascarpone cheese
1 and 1/2 cups espresso or strong coffee
6 eggs
6 Tbsp sugar
2 pkgs ladyfinger cookies(approx 12 to 16 in a pkg)
3 oz sweet liquor like Kahlua or Bailey's Irish Cream(Ahem. I use a wee bit more than 3 oz, and I use a mixture of BOTH Kahlua and Bailey's Irish Cream )
semi-sweet chocolate (for shavings)

Separate egg yolks and egg whites. Add sugar to yolks and beat with mixer until creamy. Add mascarpone and liqueur to yolk mixture until blended. Beat egg whites in a seperate bowl until firm and fluffy. Fold egg white mixture into mascarpone mixture, and set the mixture aside. Dip ladyfinger biscuits quickly into coffee(don't let them soak too long or the ladyfingers turn to mush, oh, and, you might want to add a tad of liquor to the coffee...just sayin') Layer the bottom of a square or rectangle glass baking dish with the coffee-soaked ladyfingers. Cover with half of mascarpone mixture. Repeat. Sprinkle the top with semi-sweet chocolate shavings. Refrigerate or freeze immediately.

Happy Ascension day to you and yours!     

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

Theresa H
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 19 2007 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa H

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing it with us.

-------------------------
Theresa
Mom to 13yos, 10yos, 7yos, and 16 mo.daugther
Back to Top View Theresa H's Profile Search for other posts by Theresa H

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2007 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

MaryMary wrote:
I did something similar last year on the feast of the Assumption. I had one friend who just came out of the hospital after surgery, and another friend who had been put on strict bedrest in her 5th pregnancy. I wanted to bring them both a meal that reflected the feast day, and at the same time could be made in huge quantities! I ended up making Shepherd's Pie - the beef mixture on the bottom was reminiscent of the "earth", and the white potatoes on top were like the clouds into which Mary was assumed. I guess this would work for the Ascension, as well.

Another recipe that I make for both feasts is the Italian dessert "Tiramisu" which literally translated means "lift me up".

Yum! Yum! What good food ideas!! I'll have to add these to my list of ideas for next year!

Thank YOU for sharing!

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2007 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote Bella

Yummy!

I was thinking of having the kids let go of a bouquet of balloons in front of our Church. I think we will make the pancakes also!

Thankyou!

Christy
Mom to dd(10.5) and ds(5.5)
Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 21 2007 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryMary wrote:
Another recipe that I make for both feasts is the Italian dessert "Tiramisu" which literally translated means "lift me up".   

Oh, I just love this idea! I just saw an episode on "Everyday Food" for an Easy Tiramisu. I found the recipe.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version