Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Character Building by David Issacs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 20 2005 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

After about a 1 1/2 years of studying the four temperaments I have finally purchased and begun reading a book by David Issacs called Character Building. It is so much more than I thought it was going to be and I had high expectations to start with.

Ever had "highlighter frustration"?? You know, that is when you sit down with a book you know you're going to love and ready your yellow highlighter. Then, you find you can't highlight a thing because absolutely every sentance is packed full of useful information!! This is what I'm going through with this book.

The temperaments got me on the 'self-knowledge' track for myself and my family. Self-discipline and self-surrender is the stuff good mothering is made of and is learned through the knowledge/practice of our Faith and family life. Now, with this resource, I'm well on the track to understanding how to attack virtues in an 'efficient' manner. And I'm only on page six!!! I can see a much more clear path for hacking away through the jungle of virtues/vices management with my kids. Especially when applied to the weekly observations I make in my virtues development journals.

Anyone else read this book? I'd love to hear from you.

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2005 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Amie,

Yes, I read it and with much the same reaction as you had only I didn't follow through like I should have. I got sidetracked and didn't put into practice all that I learned. Now I need to pull my book back out and start again. I liked your idea of the journal.

I remember very practical strategies for attacking one vice at a time by working on the opposing virtue. I also remember recognizing vices disguised as virtues. However, it has been a while since I read it.

Thanks for the post as it is a reminder to begin again!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2005 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote momwise

I've had this book for about 8 years. I'm so glad it's in print and available once again. I come back to it now and then and my dd uses it to write articles for her newletter. IT's a great resource....and Catholic!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2005 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I just posted a question in the Real Learning forum about doing "character education" formally, as a subject, and one resource I ask specifically about is Character Building. It sounds like a wonderful book. Would you say you can easily translate the book's ideas into lessons/activities with children?

Also, do you have a resource for this book? It looks like on Amazon there's a bit of a delay in shipping.

Thanks

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

tovlo4801
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2005 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote tovlo4801

It's availabe at By Way of the Family.

I have it and have had a hard time getting into it. I think it's interesting that you studied the four temperments first. Really observing your kids to see where they are at and then using the book as a place to get practical ideas on how to work on certain areas seems like a good plan. I really like the virtue journal idea too. It might not be so formal for me, but to be making an effort to observe my kids looking specifically for areas that they need to pray about and work on would be a wonderful starting place. Then maybe I can pull that book out again and not get overwhelmed.

What have you used to research the Four Temperments? I've read The Four Temperments by Rev. Conrad Hock. I've been looking at some books by MaryAnn Budnik that look interesting and I see there is a new book put out by Sophia Institute Press called The Temperment God Gave You. Do you know anything about these resources or have any different recommendations?
Back to Top View tovlo4801's Profile Search for other posts by tovlo4801

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 21 2005 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Dawn,
I have a link to get the book at a discount even! Don't know about availability.

Sacred Heart Books and Gifts

You really, really need to read Mary Ann Budnik's book series "Raise Happy Children..." There are four books in the series and you can get them from the same book supplier, I just couldn't find the link fast. The third book in particular is loaded with info regarding building character in your children. BUT FIRST you must KNOW them. If you haven't done any research into understanding their God given emperaments/personalities then you have to back track a little.

I would love to have a buddy to discuss character formation of children in the homeschool with. That is what I was 'fishing for' when I wrote this post. If you'd like to continue a discussion of this topic here in this posting area or off-board together I'd be thrilled.   If there was a yahoogroup or message board specifically for this topic I'd be there! If anyone knows of one, please let me in!

I hadn't considered what I'm doing with character formation of my children something that I would necessarily put in a 'curriculum' although I'd look at one if there was one. Character formation is so integrated into every single moment of parenting that I have trouble imagining setting aside a particular time for it.

BUT, as for instructing children about the details of virtures and vices, well I can immediately see the application in the classroom. They need to be able to define these things, same as they need to know the ten commandments and how to keep them. Mary Ann Budnik actually throws in a ton of info, but in particular she outlines at what ages children are ready to deal with what virtues/vices when. Very helpful to know. I expect David Issac's book to be extremely helpful from where Ms. Budnik has left off. She quotes him extensively as well as a few other great resources in her book.

I ADORE this message board and everything about Real Learning (Elizabeth's book) and the CM ideal (and E. Stein, St. Bosco etc.) that it is based on. I'm not just a better homeschooler for learning about this stuff; I'm becoming a better parent. But I'm struggling in the homeschool because my good parenting foundation has not been built strongly enough for the RL to be simply woven into the fabric of our family life. Hence, all this research into what good persons are actually made of. My pagan background and public schooling has not given me this information!    Surprise, surprise!

Oh and to answer your question more specifically, lessons and activities would be great for some of this, but I'm rather looking to the journaling aspect of forming my children's character at this time, my kids are still very young. If you want the details on this, I'd be happy to reply further.

I have to stop here. For your sake and mine. Love to talk more. I'm getting through a couple of pages of the Character Building book a night. New baby will be here very soon, but I plan to plow on! So far I have only read and re-read the prologue. I want to grasp it all and miss nothing!

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 21 2005 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Richelle,
I've read Fr. Hock's booklet. Given several talks to local homeschooling groups using his stuff, Mary Ann Budnik's stuff (with permission of course) and lots of other heavier stuff as back up.

I was just informed about the new Sophia book and can't wait to get my hands on it.

I have to agree with you; reading the temperaments information first seems vital for getting into the character building book without being overwhelmed. Even Issacs points that out in his prologue indirectly when he states on page 5,

"To develop the different aspects of one's inner core and personality (and, as a result, our personal freedom), first of all one needs to know oneself. (emphasis mine) We need to know each person's qualitites in order to be able to discover the best way for him to improve and develop. Development involves three stages - (1) self-knowledge, leading to (2) self-discipline leading to (3) self-surrender, that is, the service of others."

When I read that part, I KNEW I was in the right book. I can hardly sleep at night, no joke, because I'm so excited about moving forward with this with myself and my children (and my poor overworked, under-coffeed husband).

Knowing oneself is understanding from the very beginning what virtues/vices that God hard-wired into your core personality (and your kids) the strongest. He did so to give each soul the tools they need to accomplish the particular tasks He has in mind for them. This is where we can develop our plan of attack for growing in holiness and doing God's Will in our lives. The next obvious step is knowing what the virtues/vices ARE and how they function in our souls. It's like I mentioned before; it is tough to obey the ten commandments if you don't know what they are.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2005 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Here is Fr Hock's Four Temperaments free online.

I thought I'd mention another good book I read along with Character Building last summer.   The Catholic Book of Character and Success

It is a book meant for teenagers and so you could use it as a discussion starter/ vocational awareness book with your child, but I found it useful just for myself.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2005 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Oh I was going to agree with Richelle. I too found Character Building hard going the first time I read it several years ago. It made more sense to me after I had read a bit more about temperaments and the Catholic understanding of what virtue is about.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 21 2005 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Willa,
If you found this book hard going then I should proceed with some caution! My enthusiasm can really get the best of me.

Thanks for your other recommendation and the link, it looks very good and will be my next pick. There is sooo much good reading out there to be had. Understanding the virtues and how to put them into action is exciting!

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2005 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

So, if I were to start my reading in the area of character building, would Fr.Hock's book be a good place to start followed by the Budnik then Issacs book?

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 23 2005 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

lilac hill wrote:
So, if I were to start my reading in the area of character building, would Fr.Hock's book be a good place to start followed by the Budnik then Issacs book?

Viv,
This is the path I more or less have taken.

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2005 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I printed Fr. Hock's information yesterday. Thanks for the site. I did place a hold on the Issacs book at my library. I was reading about shy children, and they placed great emphasis on learning about temperaments. Hopefully I gain some insight into helping my shy child.

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 15 2006 at 4:16am | IP Logged Quote Erin

amiefriedl wrote:
You really, really need to read Mary Ann Budnik's book series "Raise Happy Children..." There are four books in the series and you can get them from the same book supplier,

Amie,
Have you or anyone read the fourth book in this series? I am more looking at 'something/anything' decent to read with my dd12 nearly 13. I want something that focuses on character traits, virtues etc as she approaches young womanhood. i want something that discusses modesty, purity etc. Maybe it isn't suitable to read with her but I could read and then 'steer' the conversation. Can you tell she is my first?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 15 2006 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Glad this post was revived! Does anyone know the differences between the new edition of Character Building and the original? Is it worth buying the new edition if you have the old one available?

Anne Marie in NM
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

Angela F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2006 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote Angela F

Hi Anne Marie,
We are doing a local virtue study once a month based on the Character Building book. I have the new one, but several moms have the old one. The two major differences we've discovered are:
1) The page numbers are not the same, and
2) In the back of the old book there is a nice chart that corresponds the virtues with the best ages to "introduce" or work on a particular virtue.

In the few chapters we've compared, the headings are the same, so I think the text is the same. So if you have an old version, I'd hang on to it! Maybe someone else will know of other differences...
God bless,
Angela

Back to Top View Angela F's Profile Search for other posts by Angela F

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 17 2006 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Thanks, Angela!

Yet another book to move to the top of my "to read" list.

Anne Marie
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version