Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: How many of us are doing 9th grade Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 23 2007 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

next year? I would love to hear what are you using. I think that rather than enrolling in a full time program like MODG or Kolbe, we are going to put together our own. I would love to hear what you are using for:

English

Health

Science

History

Religion

I just can't make up my mind. I look at different programs and choices and I find it so hard to make a decision without looking at the actual plans. I want to hear anything and everything you ladies have to say but I would love to hear from those that use living books and have some plans and/or reading lists they would be willing to share.

Thanks,

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

SharonO
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 24 2007 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote SharonO

We are doing 9th grade next year, but we are enrolling in MODG with a couple of modifications. For Religion, we will be using Intro to Catholicism from the Didache series. In English, we will be using Warriner's grammar, but taking an IEW class locally. We will be following MODG's recommendation for Earth Science and their American History and Literature syllabus. We don't have any plans to do a health course next year except for working on the Personal Fitness merit badge he needs for Boy Scouts.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2007 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Looking forward to seeing more responses to this thread! We are starting 9th grade in the fall, too.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2007 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

We are also starting 9th grade as well. I am like you Natalia--I just cannot make up my mind!

I do know that I will be preparing my son for Confirmation using Elizabeth's Resource List for Confirmation Preparation. In addition, I will use Understanding Scripture from the Didache Series.

Religion is the only subject that I have firmly set in my mind. I want to continue Latin, but do not know if I should start Henle or continue with Latina Christiana. My ds seems to have a gift at learning languages, but I teach my dd along with him in language. On his own, he has used the Rosetta Stone to learn some French, but is looking for something with a written component.

I really need to focus on writing. Earlier this year I purchased Writeshop. It is a good program, but a bit difficult to follow. I have not really progress through it as I should have for that reason. I also have Format Writing by Jensen that I purchased from CHC.

I have used MODG in the past, but I want to include plenty of Living Books as well. I have not really looked into their curriculum yet. A close friend ran into a homeschool graduate who said what he loved most was the Great Books program. So I also want to check into that as well. I also plan to search out what MacBeth recommends in science/math/history.

My ds is also working on the Personal Fitness MB for Bsa, so I guess that will cover his health.

I still have so many decisions to make. I am curious to hear your responses. And of course, I am waiting for Elizabeth to write the Real Learning for High School!

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2007 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Our Alexander is around ninth/tenth grade, I guess.

For reliigon, he and I are reading through the Didache religion series - right now he is reading Understanding the Scriptures and I am reading Moral Theology. For April, instead of this reading he is reading the Acts of the Apostles ( for the Easter season) and we all occasionally do some of the writing and essay suggestions from the book 100 Activities Based on the Catechsim of the Catholic Church.

Maths is Kumon and watching the DVD of the TV series Numbers and doing the followup activites from the free curriculum. Real Life applications of higher maths.

English is lots of writing and reading and talking and movies and we use Writer's Inc as a guide.

Science right now is the tomatosphere project and the secondary school activities and research ideas from the online teacher's guide. He is also reading through a Physics text and we do activities from Teaching Physics with Toys.

Society and Environment ( History/Geography) - well, this is related to English and Science topics/reading/projects/interests but he is also using the KONOS guide to the Ancient World as an idea starter for activities for Ancient History. And reading novels related to this period - finished one by Rosemary Sutcliffe, reading Christ the King Out of Egypt by Anne Rice right now. Has The Robe to read next..

We also just finished the chocolate unit study as a family!

And we go to Homeschool Group Learning ( co-op) - last term was Medieval Times, this term Debating and How It Works.

Latin is translations and we have a number of texts as source books, he works in these on and off.

Art/music are natural givens.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Carole N. wrote:
We are also starting 9th grade as well. I am like you Natalia--I just cannot make up my mind!

I am glad I am not the only one. There are so manychoices out there and without the possibility of seeing the choices makes decisions even harder. I am torn between wanting structure and freedom. I like to be flexible and I like the living books approach but my dd seems to work better in a more structured environment. I am afraid that if I just give her, lets say Elizabeth's list and tell her to read she would resist it but if I tell her to read so many pages and the narrate she might do better.To tell you the truth I am not so good at knowing how to break up a book into assignments- I never know how much is reasonable for her to read- I wish somebody would take Elizabeth's list for example and make some lesson plans...

I had forgotten about the Didache series. They look great and much more attractive than the books used by MODG and Kolbe. But then Kolbe and MODG do have those plans (sigh)

Carole N. wrote:
Religion is the only subject that I have firmly set in my mind.

You are ahead of me! I can't even make up my mind about that.

Carole N. wrote:
I want to continue Latin, but do not know if I should start Henle or continue with Latina Christiana.

My ds seems to have a gift at learning languages, but I teach my dd along with him in language. On his own, he has used the Rosetta Stone to learn some French, but is looking for something with a written component.

My dd is very good at languages also. She has done Latin
and she speaks Spanish pretty fluently. For next year she wants to continue Spanish (that is a must in our house) and she wants to start Italian.I am going to use Kolbe Italian course for that. I am debating if I should have her continue with Latin. We use Henle I with Memoria Press study guide.It worked pretty well. We also used their online course and it is working well but I don't think I'd do that again if we continue with Latin.

Thanks for sharing Carole!

Natalia

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Leonie,

Is the Morality book too heavy for a 14 yo? There is a chance that my dd would go to a Catholic High school for her sophomore year and I would like her to study some morality before hand. What do you think?

Natalia

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

These are my plans so far. Writing them out help me think so bear with me.

English- I might use Kolbe English but I would like to use some of the Bravewriter material. My dd loves to write and she would like to do some creative writing. So i would like to incorporate at least one of the Bravewriter courses. I am thinking that I would use Kolbe for the grammar part and use The Slingshot (Bravewriter monthly subscription) for copywork, dictation and writing assignments.

I would like to get Health and Computer out of the way- she needs 1/2 credit for each. I was thinking in using MODG Health and I am not sure what to use for computer-she is supposed to be proficient in Word, Power Point, Excel and something else. So i am hoping to find some text that would guide her through that(Any ideas?). i would probably do computer the first semester and the health the second.

Science- I am thinking that we would do Biology because I think she would enjoy that more than Physical Science. I am not sure if PS is required or not but I think she can do that later if she needs to. I am not sure what to use- I am looking into Kolbe and MODG. They both incorporate Church teaching into their plans. MODG uses apologia and Kolbe uses Prentice Hall text. As much as I like the idea of living books I think that, for science, a textbook approach would work better since my dd is not really interested in science and I can't imagine her reading whole books on different topics. But I have looked at MacBeth's list and requested some of the books from our library in hope that I can review them and see if i could incorporate them.Both textbooks are expensive and I'd hate to decide and then hate the book!
I have to go now thanks for letting me think "out loud".

Natalia

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I'll chime in only b/c my ds will be a 9th grader as well but I have no idea what we're doing next year yet! I have been considering something like Kolbe b/c he is getting more resistant at my direction. I'm still debating, though, b/c we've done our history, for example, in a slightly different order than many "schools" so I want him to have exposure to other stuff we've missed, and not repeat what we've already done, yk?
Also, we are getting ready to move this summer to Md, and until I understand a bit more about the requirements there I'm not making any hard and fast decisions.
The only things I'm sure of is that we'll continue a 2nd year of spanish (he's had 2 yrs of latin and one of spanish now), and continue IEW.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I have a ninth grader next year, too.

I am still in the planning stages, Natalia, and thanks for starting the thread because it helps me think.

English -- Classical Writing: Diogenes PLUS probably some grammar and vocabulary. Traditional Logic along with CW. A quarter on study skills and test prep, probably in the spring of next year.

Math -- Jacob's Algebra and then move to Geometry.

Science -=- in the past we've used a combination Biology/Natural History using Apologia plus various books from MacBeth's list and the MODG Natural History list.   This is what we will probably do again if we can't think of anything better for the science text.   Maybe I will have to check out Prentice Hall.

History/Literature -- US History/Lit intensive in the first half of the year then move to a Kolbe-type ancient history.

Language -- continue Latin and Greek.   

Religion -- in the past we've used Father Laux's series plus real books and the CCC.   I am tempted by Didache... sigh.... I hate spending $$$ for textbooks though.   

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Natalia:
In the science area (I was just out there viewing the syllabi at Emmanuel Books), MODG offers several options. One is the apologia, but the other biology uses All Creatures Great and Small by Michael Spear. There is also a combined biology/natural history syllabus. Just want you to be aware of your choices (like we need more choices ). I have the Spear book and it is very Catholic (he is Catholic and taught in a Catholic school before he died).

And since I was out there, I looked at the Latin. MODG has a new syllabus for Latin I that covers Units 1-7, and a second that covers Units 8-14. It includes quizzes, etc. Do you feel that Henle 1 requires this much work? Or do you think the Memoria Press is sufficent.

Thanks so much for all of your input. I am really enjoying all of your comments and thinking "out loud."

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

We were posting at the same time!
Willa, what did you think of the Natural History? MODG says it is for 10th grade, but it really seems to be a natural fit for my ds next year. We are really trying to incorporate nature study into our curriculum.

Also, you will love the Didache. I have Understanding the Scriptures and I am loving it. Scott Hahn is wonderful, and since I am a convert (from no faith) I have so much to learn.

Thanks for all of your comments. This is making planning ever so much easier.

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Natalia wrote:
Leonie,

Is the Morality book too heavy for a 14 yo? There is a chance that my dd would go to a Catholic High school for her sophomore year and I would like her to study some morality before hand. What do you think?

Natalia

I think it may be. Alexander is 15 and so I think its fine for him to read it when I am finished with it. But I wouldn't start Thomas (14) with the Morality book.

The reasons we started with Understanding the Scriptures was just because I felt we could do with a more thorough knowledge of Sacred Scripture.

Willa, in the past we have used the Fr Laux books. I have added in the Didache ( well, I only own two in the series) simply because I wanted an extra, attractive looking altenative. I think we can use both - just not every year!

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I'm planning on the Natural History syllabus along with a book or two from Macbeth's list for 9th grade. It can't be harder than the Apologia we've waded through this year!

Also, I'm using Peter Kreeft's You Can Understand the Scriptures along with several Scott Hahn audiolectures for religion.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Carole N. wrote:
We were posting at the same time!
Willa, what did you think of the Natural History? MODG says it is for 10th grade, but it really seems to be a natural fit for my ds next year. We are really trying to incorporate nature study into our curriculum.

My kids did fine with it in the 9th grade.   From what I've heard, the Earth Science MODG course for 9th grade is actually harder -- more writing and a bunch of different resources, not as high-interest for most kids.

I like to use Modg's NH in 9th because you can use it alongside a Biology textbook and it has started all three of the kids so far on a real, more adult-level love for nature study.   All three of them took the project that is assigned for the last quarter of the year and though they didn't do it strictly as written, in all three cases it started them on a longterm love for whatever it was they studied.   For oldest son it was ants, second son coniferous trees, and for my daughter, birds.

We usually continue reading some natural history authors throughout high school -- like John Muir and Donald Culross Peattie.

We don't do it exactly as written.   The booklist is the most important part of it for us but it does seem to help them and me to have the syllabus as a sort of guideline for their reading.   HTH!

Take Up and Read

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Carole,
Thanks for reminding me of MODG syllabi. I have completely forgotten about them. I decided not to do Earth Science because that is what she covered this year-not at a high school level but I want to give her some variety.Their Natural/Biology combo seems pretty good. I wonder how intensive it is. Do you know Willa?

Natalia

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Karen T wrote:
I'm still debating, though, b/c we've done our history, for example, in a slightly different order than many "schools" so I want him to have exposure to other stuff we've missed, and not repeat what we've already done, yk? Karen T

That is kind of our case. We have done the 4 year cycle with SOTW but it has taken us more that 4 years. We are around 1860's. I would hate for her to miss the 20th century. So I am thinking of doing a modified SL core 300. I am using their spine-they seem pretty good and I am looking at their reading list. I've discarded almost all the adult books (like Metamorphosis ) and others. I am going to preview the Young Adult ones. I am also looking at the books recommended for their core 6 that we haven't read. Even if they are younger books I think that they can give her a feel for the 20th century.

Natalia

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Leonie,
Since you have seen both, how do the Didache series compares to Fr. Laux books?

Natalia

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

The NH/Bio combination was not available when my oldest was going through high school so I don't have it and don't know what it is like.   

Take Up and Read

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Yes, the Earth Science looks like it requires a few more books than I have in my library! I think I will elect the Natural Science for my ds and try to include my dd (7th grade) as much as possible. After that, who knows ...   

Natalia, you might want to contact Linda Nelson at Sacred Heart Books and Gifts. She has been a wonderful source of information for me. I cannot promise that she has the answers, but she definitely will try to find the answer to your questions.

I am also interested in your response, Leonie. A friend of ours used Fr. Laux--and of course, I am jealous because I do not have these books! I guess I cannot own every book that was ever written ...      

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version