Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Swimming with Scapulars Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 11 2005 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Dear Erica,
Please invite Matthew Lickona to drop in! We'd love to "see" him here.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2005 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Yes!!!

Can someone please send a link to where I can buy this book, and perhaps see a review and description?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2005 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, I find this great excerpt from the book. It sounds right up my alley.

I'll answer my own question: the book can be found here.

To answer Elizabeth's earlier question, the scapular medal is not less graces. The only difference is that there is a "Sabbatine Privilege" attached to the cloth -- the promise that Mary will take the soul to heaven out of purgatory on the Saturday after you die.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2005 at 4:52am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I just stumbled upon this book (and ordered it 30 minutes ago) when ordering some Summer Reading thru Amazon.com. Loyola Classics has reissued a lot of great, meaty Catholic classics...I noticed that many of these Loyola Classics reissues had been purchased along with "Swimming with Scapulars". "Swimming" got rave reviews. You can check out the reader reviews at Amazon.com

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

LauraRB
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 19 2005 at 11:50pm | IP Logged Quote LauraRB

my brown scapular is like my blankie... I wear it all the time... and I rub it when I need some extra comfort... like a baby

(1 John 4:16b)
Back to Top View LauraRB's Profile Search for other posts by LauraRB

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2005 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

OK, I got my book and am REALLY enjoying it. Tell Matthew Likona that I intend to give it to my Protestant relatives to give them a little insight into the orthodox Catholic faith and lifestyle and what it means to us. It is a highly readable (and often humorous) book! Kudos to Mr. Lickona.

Kelly in FL

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2005 at 3:42am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Hi all,

I let Matthew know about this discussion and gave him the directions to post here. I'm just checking in to see if he did.....    Where is he? I'll invite him one more time.....

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 06 2005 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

I saw the book at Costco - didn't buy it because I hadn't heard anything about it. I wonder if they still have it?

Anne Marie
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 06 2005 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Anne Marie M wrote:
I saw the book at Costco - didn't buy it because I hadn't heard anything about it. I wonder if they still have it?

I looked quickly to see if you were in VA...I wish our Costco had it!

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 06 2005 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Jenn,

No, I'm in New Mexico - come visit if you're ever this direction!

Anne Marie
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

Lickona
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 08 2005 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Lickona

Hey all,
Thanks so much for taking an interest in my book! I'm grateful for the recommendations.

The good people at Loyola Press thought up the title. It captured something of the flavor of the book - a young(ish) Catholic poking around in the dusty basement of the Church, wondering why all this stuff (scapulars, mortification, Confession) ended up down here in the dark.

Of course, it was about more than just reviving devotions that had fallen into general disuse (though that was certainly part of it - Eucharistic Adoration has become a staple of my spiritual life, and I still wear the scapular). It was embracing the tradition of the faith in all its richness - allowing the weight, the scope, and the beauty of it to bend my will, guide my decisions, and form my intellect - even as I sallied forth into the modern world, carrying that tradition with me.

I'm not trying to live in a museum, nor am I trying to set up a separate culture - I think my job as a Christian is to transform the culture I'm in. (Homeschooling, which is in some respects a retreat from the culture, seems to me to be a different case, since children need a foundation and a formation if they are to engage the world without being seduced by its charms.) I'm trying to bring tradition to bear on the present day.

Gosh, but that sounds hifalutin'. The book is much less so, I hope. And, I hope, more fun - the story of my life as a young Catholic.

There's a bunch more about the book, should anyone be curious, on my website: www.matthewlickona.com. Reviews and interviews are on the Buzz page.

God Bless You in your work, and again, thanks for noticing me,

matthew
Back to Top View Lickona's Profile Search for other posts by Lickona Visit Lickona's Homepage

Lickona
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 08 2005 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote Lickona

Oh, and one other thing - I'd love to hear feedback from anybody who read it!

matthew
Back to Top View Lickona's Profile Search for other posts by Lickona Visit Lickona's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2005 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Well, this is pretty exciting! I turn on the computer and, lo! I find the author of a very enjoyable book I just finished right here on my very own message board! Pretty neat. Thank you, Matthew, for your comments. After I read "Swimming", I gave it to my Episcopalian-but-leaning-towards-evangelical-Christian-siste r-in-law to read so that she could have better insight into how "born-again Catholics" (her words, not mine) think. I'm anxiously awaiting her response. I thought the book was very well written, entertaining but thought-provoking, too, and that you hit on a lot of issues that dominate the mind and lives of "BACs"... To paraphrase Lord Peter Wimsey in one of the Dorothy Sayer books, "Everything in the world has already been said by someone else, and usually said better than I can say it..." Thank you for saying it all so much better, and so much more eloquently

Kelly in FL

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2005 at 5:33am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Matthew,
I look forward to reading your book.
Your father was an influential professor of mine at Cortland 21 years ago and occasionally told stories of his sons.
Although I had only one of his courses, it had great impact on how I viewed my students, and eventually my own children.
Welcome to the forum.
Viv Lapp

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2005 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Love the book and am only on page 46!!!!
I have cheated a bit and skimmed ahead about the nuns and your Mom. Love your Mom!

You had me in the acknowledgements....so wonderful!!!

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Lickona
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 12 2005 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote Lickona

Marybeth,
I know what you mean about Mom. Dad couldn't help but note that, for everything good I say about him, she gets most of the quotes. I am very blessed. Cheat away - the book is pretty flexible. You can get away with reading here and there, for the most part. Glad you're enjoying it!
Viv,
Thanks for the welcome. I'll let Dad know - he'll be touched. He tells a lot of stories about us - usually, he changes the names to protect the guilty, but not always. Hope you enjoy, and thanks for the welcome.
Kelly,
I'm sure Whimsy was right, and I'm sure others have said it better elsewhere, but I console myself that I'm saying it now, and people are reading it, and hopefully, it's doing some good. If they move from me to those who have said it better, so much the better. First time I've heard of BAC's - I like the term. Please do post and let me know about your friend's reaction - I had all these dreams of engaging the world...
Thanks, all, for your responses. God bless you.
matthew

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 23 2005 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Let's talk about Parish Hopping, if we could. Years ago, a friend of mine said that the trouble with parish hopping was that if you switched parishes every time a priest comes along with whom you are at odds liturgically or philosophically, you run the risk of falling into the Protestant trap of "cult of personality." I saw her point. I so saw her point that I threw myself into my proper parish and all its workings. And I am driven to distraction by liturgical gaffes and theological misconceptions. So, is parish hopping okay? I guess I worry that we hop, and then the priest in the new parish is replaced in a couple of years with someone incompatible and we hop again and so on until my children never have a sense of truly belonging to church home.Here, in this liturgically/theologically problematic parish, they are surrounded by friends and neighbors. Which is more important: community or liturgy?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 23 2005 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Oh gosh... Elizabeth. You've hit a sore spot with me. I absolutely HATE the notion of parish-hopping. I could go on about this forever but I think it should be a very last resort.

more later...
JoAnna

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 23 2005 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

mrsgranola wrote:
Oh gosh... Elizabeth. You've hit a sore spot with me. I absolutely HATE the notion of parish-hopping. I could go on about this forever but I think it should be a very last resort.

That's exactly the way I feel about parish hopping...last resort. It's a touchy subject with many.

Elizabeth wrote:
Which is more important: community or liturgy?

Liturgy is most important. I'll be contradictory and say I stay in my parish because the liturgy is important. I also know having a stable community to support the parish is important.

Some of the parish hopping is because of the music, sermons, the "way" a priest says the Mass. But most of the time, (I know there are places with heterodox liturgies going on, so that's a different issue) it's still a valid Mass, despite the problems with the priest. The liturgy of the Mass still survives. Jesus is still present on the altar and needs to be worshipped.

Should we all abandon the parish because it doesn't make us feel good? Isn't there value in being a suffering/sacrificial soul for the reparation of the priest and the good of the parish? And getting involved helps at least gives light and hope to those who might be being steered the wrong way by the errant pastor. Elizabeth, the example and leadership you did to provide a picture of Pope John Paul II during the period of mourning was such a wonderful outreach for your community.

BUT...it is a personal decision. I thought I had read years ago something in Canon Law about how a secular person should stay in the parish in their boundaries, and obligated to serve in that parish, but I can't find it for the life of me, so I'm beginning to think I was wrong there.

My parents moved to another parish when it became an occasion of sin (loss of temper and more) every time we stepped into our church. We also moved to another parish so we could enroll in the school...but then stayed in that parish after my siblings started hsing and the pastors changed.

I also think when young children have never seen the Mass celebrated properly, it might be good to have them attend Mass in other places.

I just thought of another thing. Parish hopping is defined differently. I know some people who just wander, and don't register or contribute into a parish...following a priest but never committing. That's more harmful than registering elsewhere (perhaps the next parish closest to you?) and staying put and actively contributing to your new parish. You're not following a priest, per se, but just changing parishes to get away from another priest. Big difference!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 23 2005 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Okay Elizabeth I'm going to be bold and admit that we are guilty here of parish hoping

Why? Well when we were first married we were in a parish where the priest was way off. His seromons were full of heretical comments ie. he didn't believe in the Immaculate Conception!!!!He changed some of the words of the consecration!! And it was a regular circus 12 people would be up on the altar to 'help' distibute the Eucharist. It truly was too distressing for us. After much thought and prayer we decided we had to travel. Believe me that was a committment, we had to travle an hour through the bush to the next parish. It is hard also in that you can't be part of the regular parish, can't go to daily Mass.

When we moved to this town it was such a relief to not have to travel. To be able to attend Mass more frequently. To feel more part of Parish life. We stayed in this Parish for a few years, but there was one drawback, the Church had been 'renovated' the altar is down in the centre of the Church, therefore followed a definate lack of reverance towards the Blessed Sacrament. Our children were getting older and we wanted them to grow up with some better idea of how things could be. Also it was prodominatley an older Parish and the children were frowned on whenever they made a noise. We found ourselves very tense during Mass, and dh spent most of Mass outside with the slightest infractions.

We made the decision to travel 'across' the River. (Our next parish is only five minutes away) The priest there is old, doesn't preach heresy, has a definte love of Our Lord. Are we priest following. No! He is very anti-homeschooling. and avoides us like the plague (Believe me we have down nothing to rock the boat, kept heads down and mouths shut) But I guess that is our little Cross to bear in life. Are things perfect here, no. but we do feel that sense of exceptance from fellow parishioners. They are warm, welcoming and excepting of the children's noise, so is Father.

Your question of liturgy or community is a good one. I guess one thing I realised is although I have a good memory of correct liturgy my children don't. We have been very careful not to critise priests or point out liturgical gaffes. However it has dawned on me that they don't have the same grounding as dh and I. I don't mean us as parents duty to teach them but the Church's. There are so many things that go on my children are unaware of that are incorrect liturgically and perhaps we have become immune to. Friends point out when they visit and are shocked.

I guess in today's world you don't often get the perfect situation and eveyone has to just do their best. We are committed to our Parish across'River' we contribute financially there and ds serves, dh reads. We have put down roots.

Don't know if I'm being very clear. It is never an easy decision. All I know is we feel the need to be nourished in some small manner and to do the best we can by our children.

I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm having a go at them if they've stayed through tough times. I'm not. I admire them, they are very strong.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version