Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: natural health care products Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 07 2005 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Do you use natural toothpaste, deodorant, sunscreen and bug spray? Which brands have you had good results with?
What about skin care products?

tovlo4801
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2005 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote tovlo4801

We use Tom's of Maine toothpaste. My youngest has a strong gag reflex and the strongly flavored regular pastes are rough for him. Tom's is great.

My husband used to be in the healthcare industry and the one thing I remember about deodorant is that they sell something called a deodorant stone. We used it years ago and it actually worked really well. I'm glad you reminded me about this.

I'm curious about suggestions for the other products. I'm not thrilled with DEET and my oldest seems to be allergic to almost every sunscreen ever made. I break out from everything I put on face, yet I have to clean my face, so I just live with break-outs. I hadn't considered trying any natural products.
Back to Top View tovlo4801's Profile Search for other posts by tovlo4801

gwendyt
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 07 2005 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote gwendyt

I've used Shaklee since I've been a teenager. It is a bit pricey (but aren't alot of natural products?), but the products are very trustworthy. My skin has always been nice, even as a teen. I don't have to worry about the littles swallowing some toothpaste (or any other product for that matter). I put the concentrated Basic H on their skin for bugs/ticks, and it works okay but probably not as great as super deep woods OFF or whatever! I'm still searching for a really good bug spray. Their deordorant is nice. My DH always wants an anti-perspirant/deordorant and Shaklee is just deordorant, so he doesn't use that. You can see their products at www.shaklee.com   

Wendy

Back to Top View gwendyt's Profile Search for other posts by gwendyt Visit gwendyt's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2005 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I have been thinking about trying Tom's of Maine. I used it with my daughter when she was little. My husband threw it out after we discovered a very bad cavity . The dentist later told us it was probably just a bad tooth since there were no other cavities. I bought some Tom's of Maine for myself and did not like it, but I think it was just that particular one.
I have also been thinking about trying the deodorant stone. My dd10 wants to start using deodorant, she says all the other girls on her soccer team use it . I would really like to try a natural product with her.
Wendy,
Thank you for reminding me about Shaklee. My mom used it while we were growing up. I had been talking to a friend about Shaklee recently, now that I am thinking about it near the computer I will try to find a distributor .
I found something called Herbal Armor at Whole Foods, I think it is bug spray and sunscreen in one. I will just us it for the bug spray.

Thank you for the ideas!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 07 2005 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

We use Tom's of Maine toothpaste and I use the deodorant. My dh is allergic to something in Tom's deodorant. My boys say they need something stronger. I'm very allergic to artifical perfumes so we're really careful about anything scented (including deodorant, shampoo, and makeup). When I was pregnant with Nicholas, I actually craved Tom's Ginger toothpaste. I was brushing my teeth all the time ! I even brushed in labor...

I love Trader Joe's for health and household products. I use their laundry detergent which is only lightly scented with lavender oil (unless I haven't been able to get there), and their pump soaps, and their sugar scrub. I also buy my shampoo there (Avalon). And tea tree oil...we use tea tree oil for everything .

For conditioner and makeup, I'm partial to Aveda.

I do like Shaklee, too.

I've used the Herbal Armor bug spray for a couple of years now with good results.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

materdei7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 07 2005 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote materdei7

We like the Tom's toothpaste too. My littlest one does not like the spicy (peppermint) toothpaste, so the strawberry flavor is nice. We use alot of Shaklee, too.
We've been Distributors for over nine years.
Although, I really like the Trader Joe's laundry soap,
and the liquid dish soap.
As far as insect repellents....we've tried the Avon
skin so soft bug repellent. It smells good, but, it doesn't seem to last too long. Now we use a product
made from soybean oil. It is all natural and no DEET.
It is called Bite Blocker. It comes in a few different
strengths....some for children, and some for adults.
You can order on line at wwwbiteblocker.com.
Oh! And I just saw the deodorant stone at Costco!
Hope that helps.

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2005 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I ran into Whole Foods the other evening ang bought some Tom's of Maine toothpaste for myself and dc. Everyone likes it! I also found the deodorant stone, dd and I are giving it a try.

I have been using All Clear for laundry for a few years and have been pleased with the results. I have bought the detergent from Trader Joe's but the containers are so small! I really like buying the big bottles of All Clear at CostCo and knowing that I will not run out. (I am out of laundry detergent at the present time ) I think it would be a hard sell to convince my husband to spend the money on Shaklee products, I am thinking mainly laundry detergent. I guess I need to visit their website and really break down the cost. We have used Basic H before and really like it.

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2005 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

I've made some natural products from "scratch" and we like it. Off the top my head, baking soda = toothpaste, flaxseed = hair gel, and Fels Naptha Soap + washing soda + borax + lavender oi = laundry detergent. None of them take long to make (10 min tops) and have done as well as a job or even better than what I've gotten at the store.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version